• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Trany knocking? Help?

jeepnfahey

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 93 4 banger its a great little rig. I had the engine replaced and the cooling system also. But the i would hear this knocking under my 5 speed. so i had it taking to the shop they replaced the trany mount a wile back. the knocking was really bad before i had the mount put in. Now the knocking is back but not as bad. I went under the jeep and checked to see if the mount is still good and it is, dose any one know what it could be??

Exactly under what conditions does it knock?

well it knocks when ever i go over any small bumps on any road, and it really knocks when i am in 4 low and off road. It knocks when i change gears in 4 low. what is it?

After replacing my motor and tranny mounts my exhaust began knocking. I ignored it for awhile and then basically just bent the pipes a little until it stopped.

Sarge

that's what i was thinkin also Sarge. get under there and hit your exaust a couple a times see if you can duplicate the noise. i've never heard a tranny knock before. i heard them pop and clunk but they only do this once then they really don't do anything

I have found the knocking sound!!!!
It was not the trany, it was the engine mounts!!! THis suxMy rubber bushing things on the engine mount are complelty f-ted in the A. The cracks in the mounts are nice and big. So every time I go over a bump the engin shakes all over the place. I bet this is going to be fun to replace. I am going to have to take off the mounts and lift the block and the put it all back, This is just graet news!!!!!!

I love my JEEP and Hate it at THe same Time.

Back