• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rubicon in August?

Comanche

NAXJA Forum User
Anyone intersted in Doing it in August?

Driving down from Oregon

Ron

comanche...what dates are you planning to be in california? there are already two planned runs on board for august.
1st----aug 1-3 swamp lake...this run had a participation of 26 xj's last year. we meet thurs. nite july 31st at dinkey creek.
2nd run---aug 14-17 the dusy/ershim trail. {check your equipment} if interested...on running with us...let us know..we'll give you further info.

I was thinking about the 14 - 17 or the next weekend, Plans are still alittle unclear.

What kind of equiptment should I check for the ershim trail and where is it.

Ron

Dusy is more demanding than Swamp.

Swamp is doable with 31's and no lockers (one would be greatly appreciated though.)

Dusy is much more enjoyable with a couple of lockers, and 32's, or one locker and a winch.

CRASH

the dusy/ershim trail is aprox. 40 miles east of shaver lake. shaver lake is aprox 40 miles east of fresno. we will begin the trailhead at courtwright lake. take hwy 168 out of fresno to shaver. if you decide to go...let us know and we'll give you more detailed directions.:)
P.S. have family in canby, ore. also enjoy 'silver falls' very much.
come join us....you'll have a grrreat....time.

:D

Comanche said:
I was thinking about the 14 - 17 or the next weekend, Plans are still alittle unclear.

What kind of equiptment should I check for the ershim trail and where is it.

Ron

Like was said, at least one locker for Dusy, and 32's. Preferably no D35's. Dusy is 33 miles long and is in an extremely remote area. A serious breakdown can cause a lot of problems. Everything on a rig should be checked, all bolts tightened, all regular maintenance performed, any nagging problems resolved, and carry lots of spare parts. Also, an easy driving style needs to be used to minimize the possibility of a breakdown. The days are long on Dusy, and it's not fun getting into camp after dark because of stopping to do repairs.

And Lots of GAS! I actually don't know how well the XJ's get by, but one time when I was young the only way we were able to finish Ershim was to run colman fuel in my dad's and our friend's broncos for the last few miles. And that was after going through 1 or 2 gerry cans of gas.

Luckily Courtright resevoir was also dry and we were able to cut across.

We got 4 XJ's through last year on 1 single tank of gas each. Well all except FarmerMatt, he couldn't figure out how to get out of 2 High;) :D ;) :D

YES, proper preparation is essential and easy driving style. If you break down and need parts you better HOPE you have some good friends because it's a LONG way out and back in!!!
:D :D

Goatman said:
Like was said, at least one locker for Dusy, and 32's. Preferably no D35's. Dusy is 33 miles long and is in an extremely remote area. A serious breakdown can cause a lot of problems. Everything on a rig should be checked, all bolts tightened, all regular maintenance performed, any nagging problems resolved, and carry lots of spare parts. Also, an easy driving style needs to be used to minimize the possibility of a breakdown. The days are long on Dusy, and it's not fun getting into camp after dark because of stopping to do repairs.

maybe we should have a lottery for driving position:D if not i'm picking mine now!! i'm in between farmermatt and goatman....[sierra AAA] .they'll be able to carry me on there roof racks!;) :D

WHEEL'er-DLR said:
maybe we should have a lottery for driving position:D if not i'm picking mine now!! i'm in between farmermatt and goatman....[sierra AAA] .they'll be able to carry me on there roof racks!;) :D

Jay,

I've seen your driving style (can you say foot to the floor), I want to be ahead of you:D :D :D You sure gave it h*** at Swamp last year!!

The MJ has d44 with detroit 4:56 in back , up front high pinion d30, ox locker 4:56. 6" lift, spring over, rancho 9000, sway bar disconnects, It dosent have much trail time with the new front end.

33 x 10.5 x 15 ssr's

You guys that have front axles with 260x axle u-joints definitely need to carry spare front axles. Anyone with stock front axles really should carry spares, especially on a trail like Dusy or Rubicon. I broke a front axle on Thompson Hill by running into a short tree stump that I didn't even see.

You can get pulled out in 2wd, but it's more fun not to have to. :)

thats a good question. I made it through twenty years ago with a pretty much a stock 1968 bronco with no body damage., but my MJ is a little different. I'm going to the joly jeepers rally inthree weeks we will see how the thing handles here in the coast range of oregon.
Love the Serrias though- I'm originally from Galt Ca

go MJ
Ron

Back