• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Windshield wipers/pump died, any ideas what to check?

ShinyXJ

NAXJA Forum User
I used my front wiper two days ago and they worked fine. Yesterday I flipped them on and nothing. Pump doesn't spray fluid, wipers don't move no matter what position they are in. No noise. Everything else electrical seems to work fine.

I checked the big fuse on the side of the panel that my owner's manual says is for the ww/pump and the fuse is fine. What to check next?

It looks to me like I can get at the motor by removing the cowl behind the hood...is that true, or do I get to that stuff under the dash? Any way to tell if the motor is dead without buying a new one and installing?

Finally, if I do need a new motor, any ideas about good sources for parts that aren't a fortune?

Thanks as always in advance!

Scott

By "big fuse" do you mean the circuit breaker on the fuse panel? Mine (92) is a 4.8 amp circuit breaker that I had to get ($17.50) from the stealership. My prblem sounded exactly like yours, and that's what did it. BTW, I had to go to the dealership to get the circuit breaker. It wasn't a standard breaker.

Yes, by big fuse I mean the vertical slot that holds the 5.5 amp circuit breaker/fuse thingie (on the left side of the fuse block). I checked it and it appears fine. The breaker is good, so I'm assuming either the wiper motor just died or a wire broke or came loose...

Scott

put a voltemeter on the circuit break to see if its working, if its not, replace it, if it is then do the same for your motor, check your wires and whatnot. Also your stalk could've gone bad on the column.

Later,

ERic

How do I check the stalk on the column? I'll check the rest with a voltmeter this week, hopefully I don't have to tear apart the steering column! Do I access the motor by removing that plastic cowl behind the hood?

Thanks!

S

Can someone post where to find the Circut Breaker? I cannot fing it on my 92 Lerrado and mine is doing exactly this same thing

I'm getting the exact same issue, except I just got my Jeep running again for the first time in 1.5 years. How do you check to see if the connection is bad if you have no voltmeter? Just r² it?

I used my front wiper two days ago and they worked fine. Yesterday I flipped them on and nothing. Pump doesn't spray fluid, wipers don't move no matter what position they are in. No noise. Everything else electrical seems to work fine.

I checked the big fuse on the side of the panel that my owner's manual says is for the ww/pump and the fuse is fine. What to check next?

It looks to me like I can get at the motor by removing the cowl behind the hood...is that true, or do I get to that stuff under the dash? Any way to tell if the motor is dead without buying a new one and installing?

Finally, if I do need a new motor, any ideas about good sources for parts that aren't a fortune?

Scott

Wiper motor and washer don't go bad at the same time. The circuit breaker is the common point. Check for current in and out of the relay.

Scott

Wiper motor and washer don't go bad at the same time. The circuit breaker is the common point. Check for current in and out of the relay.

Ok I don't suck at life so much anymore. I got a voltmeter and checked the fuse it worked but the plug-in wasn't getting power. I also noticed that the blower isn't working either. The only common point that I have changed recently in the ECU. Is this a common point for both systems or does it not matter?

I still need to check mu WW motor to see if it's getting power. The Circut breaker is good so I don't know where to go from there after the motor

Ok I don't suck at life so much anymore. I got a voltmeter and checked the fuse it worked but the plug-in wasn't getting power. I also noticed that the blower isn't working either. The only common point that I have changed recently in the ECU. Is this a common point for both systems or does it not matter?

No common points between wipers, blower motor and ECU. They are independent issues. Motors might start to work if you pulled them out and spun the armatures. Sitting so long could have tarnished the commutators.

Hallo. Do your Jeep have a Intermittent Wiper Module?
It is normally a black box sticked under the dash by the steeringcolumn.
There are 2 big connectors going to the wipermotor and the wiperswitch. Maybe?:wave1:

'92 XJ

Back