• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need help with castor.

RavenMocker

NAXJA Forum User
Stock running height with four cylinder. I pulled the front axle out. The po did a crap job at converting it over to 4WD. It now has the 2wd straight axle back in it. Now I’m stuck. I’ve done searches and only seem to find shimming for lifts. Can anyone let me know how many shims on the lower control arms are used to adjust the front so I can drive it safely for a complete alignment at a shop?

The guy I bought this MJ from really just threw it together. He did put the rear lower control arm adjustment. He just bolted it together.
it didn’t show anything in the Haynes manual. And I thought I had taken the caster adj bracket with the sh8ms off my MJ. I finally decided to check. I never took them off. The skins are looked the same thickness. There are six onerous them. So I installed them on our sons MJ.

I'm not sure if you're still asking or if you did the shims already. With 2wd you don't need to worry about pinion angle, so that's nice. Your are just setting your caster with the shims, same on each side. I'm assuming 2wd has the same control arm mounts and adjustment method as 4wd. I know on a 4wd, most of us are between 0-10 degrees. If your top ball-joint is lined up or slightly to the rear ("leaning back") of the bottom joint, you should be fine for driving to the alignment shop. Just make sure you tell them you want them to adjust the caster and how that is done. A lot of shops are just setting toe in and making sure your steering wheel is straight. It is possible to do a pretty decent alignment in the driveway if you watch enough youtube videos on it.

Good luck

Back