• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

'93 lost intermittent mode on wipers

Vince

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
My 1993 XJ has lost the intermittent mode on the wind-shield wipers. It still has single speed and two speed operation but single speed is now the default for all of the intermediate settings on the stalk. Two speed is still the last setting. At least, I think it still has two speed, I better check that to be sure.

I have taken the wiper module apart and I cannot see any burnt tracks on the PCB or obviously failed components. I am not sure where to start to find the fault. Could it be the stalk? I have a single column stalk for all functions. Could it be the module? How do I go about checking it and repairing it?

My wiper motor/gearbox is getting old and the wipers are struggling when the windshield isn't wet enough for another forced wipe.

Are there any modern upgrade options with wiper motor/gearbox for a '93?

The delay module on my '92 died years ago, I got a replacement module from a junkyard out of a '95 (at least, I think that's was was written on it, though it could have been 96). That one's been fine ever since.

Interestingly, the PCB on my original module appeared to be very basic - practically vector-board, and no protective coating. Almost looked like it was built out of a kit. The PCB in the replacement, on the other hand, looked more "professional" was had obviously been sealed with a conformal coating (something akin to clear poly). Must have been a design revision along the way. If you can find a delay module out of a 95 or 96, it should just plug in, and the odds are better for it to still work compared to one from a 92 or 93.

As to the mechanism struggling, maybe the pivots are rusting up and getting tight (presumably this is the original linkage)? - I've not had that happen on my Jeep, but I did have the drivers' side pivot on my 2002 VW sieze up that way, and it really slowed the whole thing down. A new linkage solved that. Presumably the wiper mechanism on the XJs didn't change much over the years, but I've never actually compared the 84-96 style to the 97+ one.

If you can find a delay module out of a 95 or 96, it should just plug in, and the odds are better for it to still work compared to one from a 92 or 93.

Thanks. I will look out for a replacement. There are only 7,500 XJs left here 1993-2001 with half that number being roadworthy. Vehicle dismantlers don't keep complete cars for long and if used parts don't sell well for the dismantler, the next example goes straight to the crusher. Good used parts are getting harder to find with every year.

It will probably be easier for me to locate one in the USA and import it.

I found this YouTube video that describes replacing a PCB track with copper wire. This should fix wiper parking problems and loss of intermittent wipe function. I haven't tried it yet myself.

You should double check that the potentiometer in the switch assembly is still working correctly. I've already replaced the switch assembly once but it's back to no longer working so this time around I'm going to mount a potentiometer in the dash. You can also wire in a plain ol' resistor and get 1 intermittent speed; better than nothing... There's two more wires coming from the column than there is going out of the module to the rest of the vehicle. Measure the resistance across those two wires while turning the "wheel" on the switch assembly. If the resistance doesn't change, the switch assembly is your problem...

Back