• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

WTB non 0331 head

Hippie Metal

NAXJA Forum User
Cylinder 3 misfire. Gonna run the bore scope in after sitting over night but the misfire goes away after it heats up. Most my thoughts lead me back to head gasket or head is going...either way if it has to come off...might as well delete the 0331. It's a 00 XJ. Who has one in good shape?

I've got one that I think is from a '96ish era; I got it when I thought the one on my '94 was screwed up but turned out to be a different problem.

I got it from OverlandXJ for nothing so if you can use it I'll pass it forward. Can probably bring it to NACfest too if that helps.

if theres no fluids mysteriously disappearing check for other problems...the 0331 on mine was cracked and i ran it for almost 2 years with nothing more than a little coolant going out the tailpipe, but i never had misfire issues. That said, if it proves a head crack, go with a new casting..I bought a ProMaxx (formerly Alabama) from Q-tec for less than 700 fully dressed..not exactly the low-buck option, but I give it props...been a couple months now and its running as smooth as before the freeze-up..
Everyone points straight to the head being the issue when you're talking 0331-head rigs, but its not always the case...many of them last a long time

there..Vetteboy's a veritable guru and he somehow missed another issue....I'm not sure your misfire isnt a bad coil pack or even a bad plug...just my 2cents before you go yanking heads

Biggest reason I'm sniffing around it being a head issue is the misfire disappearing after it warms up in the am...only then will it do it for about 5-8 minutes..TERRIBLY. leading me to think it gets hot, the metal expands, closing the gap. Through out the day it never really gets the chance to cool down completely until I let it sit over night...then in the am, all hell breaks loose I'm gonna pull the plug and see what it looks like. Hoping I don't see a bunch of white and coolant in the cylinder when I get the scope in there...but just in case I'd like to have a back up plan and have options.

I could be wrong, but I feel a bad coil pack or plug wouldn't fix itself when hot.....would it?

could also have a sticky injector, weak valve spring or a sticky lifter...all will cause misfires, all could be intermittent

a bad coil could sort itself out after warm, if it's got a crack in the casing that's letting moisture in. warms up, moisture goes away, no more crap ignition on those cylinders.

exact same thing happened to me, found out i had a cracked head between cylinders 3/4. Few months later I got bad low end noise too. Am in the middle of a swap now. Got a TUPY casting head of a late 02-04 wj. Not prone to cracking. Didn't have the funds for a new clearwater.

if you are still looking for a non 0331 head I have one. cut the valves. Valve guides and valve seats in cylinders 3 to 6 i recommend being replaced. I had the book with the exact dimensions but they were somewhere in the ball park of .003 to .005 out of speck. Let me know if you want it. Valves are in good shape and I hot tanked the head. It isn't warped. I can do $50 for it.

What year is it from? I found a great 98 head, but it seems there's no place to mount the coilpack too..leaving it loose and prone to bouncing off the plugs while wheeling..

I am also pretty certain my 01 has a cracked head. I don't have the time or knowledge to fix it on my own. I have lined up a Jeep mechanic willing to do it on the side. All I have to do is supply the parts and pay a reasonable labor charge. I have heard great things things about the Clearwater heads. Any others I should consider? Wanting to keep the head cost under $600.

Back