• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Removing front D44 axles (1979 bronco)

CJS

NAXJA Forum User
I pulled the hub and rotor assembly, took off the 5 bolt holding the flange, and nothing will budge. Do I use a BFH or what?? Detailed instructions would really help me as I'm new at this.

thanks
CJS

I assume when you say "flange" you mean the spindle flange. It has to come off to pull the axle shaft. They can be a pain if they haven't been pulled in years. You can use the BFH but do not hit the thread or bearing surfaces on the spindle (unless you are going to replace them anyway). I have a spindle puller that I bought a few years ago. The good news is that once you get it off this time it will be easy in the future.

Spindle puller is the best way. I put the nuts back on and protected them with a block of wood and worked the spindle off with a hammer. I've also used a chisel between the spindle and knuckle...but that method can leave a few scratches and dents.

Back