• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

13 March - Chinamens

xjk9bar1

NAXJA Forum User
We were talking about hitting Chainmen's on Saturday, 13 Mar at the initial chapter meeting last Sat. Well, let's do it!

Meet at Johnson Village at 10:30 (Springs folks - meet at Colorado Ave and 31st (Taco Bell ?) at 8:30 am to head out).

Sounds great but you gotta come help me tweak my junk first :doh:
Led

I would be up for it but I have to get my driveline situation worked out. I got the tranny swap finished, but I guess when I shortened the rear driveshaft and did the SYE conversion, I must have gotten the shaft misaligned. I set it up in a jig and tack welded it at three places before I started, but now it will rattle my teeth out at 35mph. Tranny works fine.

I called around and everyone wanted $90+ just to balance a driveshaft. That is a bunch of BS. I am going to set it up on jack stands put it in gear and see if it is straight. If it isn't too bad, I will just put it in my press and do a bit of tweaking. Otherwise, I might just cut the tube off, get a new piece and start over. What a pain.

If it is straight, I might do the weight with a radiator clamp to find the balance point, then weld the weight. Nothing like a little shade tree mechanic fixin.

Heck, we could have our first BOD meeting.

old_man said:
I would be up for it but I have to get my driveline situation worked out. I got the tranny swap finished, but I guess when I shortened the rear driveshaft and did the SYE conversion, I must have gotten the shaft misaligned. I set it up in a jig and tack welded it at three places before I started, but now it will rattle my teeth out at 35mph. Tranny works fine.

I called around and everyone wanted $90+ just to balance a driveshaft. That is a bunch of BS. I am going to set it up on jack stands put it in gear and see if it is straight. If it isn't too bad, I will just put it in my press and do a bit of tweaking. Otherwise, I might just cut the tube off, get a new piece and start over. What a pain.

If it is straight, I might do the weight with a radiator clamp to find the balance point, then weld the weight. Nothing like a little shade tree mechanic fixin.

Heck, we could have our first BOD meeting.
Sorry this may not be the right section but Northern Colorado Driveline Service in Greeley went through my front driveline on my comanche for $200 and they said balancing was only like $50 Give them a call (970) 356-2723 Hope this helps.

xjk9bar1 said:
We were talking about hitting Chainmen's on Saturday, 13 Mar at the initial chapter meeting last Sat. Well, let's do it!

Meet at Johnson Village at 10:30 (Springs folks - meet at Colorado Ave and 31st (Taco Bell ?) at 8:30 am to head out).

For those who don't know what/were Johnson City is...

Johnson City is a truck stop on the left side of Rt 24. about a mile before the T-junction at Buena Vista. Basically, you cross the Arkansas River and there is a large parking lot on your left at the truck stop. The trailhead is about 3 miles from Johnson City, so it is a great meet & greet & air down and disconnect kind of place.

For those unfamiliar with Chinamen's, it is not a typical Colorado trail in that it is more of a desert trail topping out at 9,000 ft. elevation as opposed to the typical passes/ledge roads we have. It is pretty much non-stop obstacles, but anything difficult is optional. Chinamen's is a great trail to test new mods or cut your teeth on more difficult stuff...if you don't make it you can just take an easier line. Really fun trail for a group of all abilities to get out for a day.

It is looking like this now may be a snow day, so we're watching the weather forecasts.

Nay

I'd love to make it, but I found a crack in the bracket at the axle end of my track bar. Troy and I are gonna get it welded up Monday. Hopefully we can also get my spring perches and shock mounts welded up on the 60 so I can get it in.
Hopeful for next time,
Crunch

Can't make it - I've got a "new" D44 I'll be working on next week for install into the Jeep.

I'll try and make it...have in-laws in town so that makes it a little tricky. Love to get out there and wheel with Joey and Led. We can scope Carnage Canyon for BOTW4.

Randy

Looks like I'm in - not sure if the family is joining or not since the weather is going to be variable and the young 'un is only six months old. Should be a fun day.

Nay

Nay said:
Looks like I'm in - not sure if the family is joining or not since the weather is going to be variable and the young 'un is only six months old. Should be a fun day.

Nay

Get those ice skates ready. :flame: must be freezing over. Nay on the trail? I don't believe it. Will have to see that myself. Next thing you know Fred will be joining us. Webwheelers on the trail. :party:

So with the big guns commiting to Chinaman's, i might just have to throw my hat in the ring.

Actually I have been helping a freelance writer with a rockcrawling story and have invited her to this trail on Saturday. She has other commitments but may change her plans so she can join us on the trail. If i fail to make it, i am sure we can find her a seat in someone's rig.

If the weather holds I plan on being there, damn Jeep has been gathering dust and it's time for a spring trail.

Grant

There was a great write up on Carnage Canyon in Buena Vista from some dude in New Mexico in the current 4Wheel Drive and Sport-Utility Magazine.

I just received it in the mail yesterday. He was driving a bugified CJ-5 I think and there were several CJs with him.

http://www.4wdandsportutility.com/toc/

There website isn't showing the latest issue as there is a red TJ I think on the cover...maybe waiting for it to hit newstands.

Hey guys.... noobie to the board... most probably know me from CO4x4...

anyhoo, Me (Don) and Red Bull (Aaron) are going to make this trip sat...

See you at the Gunsmoke truckstop @ 10:30 :D

Outstanding!!!!! Looks like we should have about 6 (7 if Grant can get fight off the dust bunnies).

Weather may even coporate...forcasting partly sunny skies w/ temps in the low 40's.

See ya there!

Grant said:
Get those ice skates ready. :flame: must be freezing over. Nay on the trail? I don't believe it. Will have to see that myself. Next thing you know Fred will be joining us. Webwheelers on the trail. :party:

Grant

Well, I do manage to run Chinaman's about once a year so you'd better make this one :guitar: .

Now that son #3 is trail ready (can hold his head up), you'll be seeing quite a bit more of us...taking the older boys wheeling is a lot more daddy-duty fun than wiping arses :puke:

Nay

Well, unfortunately I have to pass on this trip. Meeting someone for a possible job at noon. I believe Digger will not be there either as he is swapping his torque convertor tomorrow. Have fun and be safe! :D

I'm going to have to bail on this run due to family in town...going down to Canyon City to check out the Gorge...Have fun and I hope the weather holds for you guys. Thanks for setting this up Joey!

Randy

yeah :( not going to make it... I put in a higher stall converter on thursday and now I'm not getting lock-up command from TCM... have to figure that out B4 any long trips.

Back