• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tube running from the fuel tank

Cottontail

Three-De Off-Road
NAXJA Member
I have a 1998 ZJ (5.2) and I am having issues identifying one of the lines running under the truck. I also have a 1996 ZJ (4.0) that has this same line.

The line in this picture with the thick section just above the electrical connection runs into the fuel tank and is a plastic tube and runs down the length of the drivers side unibody rail.

50402948246_b409454470_c.jpg

Under the driver's floorboard area it transitions in to a hard line and runs up into the engine bay and comes out along the driver's front fender under the brake master cylinder. In this photo, the hard and soft lines are not connected.

50403107592_193a65df41_c.jpg

Just after it reaches the fender area it transitions back to a plastic line. This photo is more up under the master cylinder where the firewall meets the fender. It is still hard line at this point.

50403107612_afbe8193e7_c.jpg

It terminates in a "hole" under the driver's side headlight. In this photo I've pulled it out of the hole in order to see the end of the line run.

50402251523_5941566f89_c.jpg

Where the plastic line and the hard line come together under the driver's footwell, the soft line smells a little of gas. Where the line terminates under the driver's headlight it doesn't smell like anything. Where the hard and soft lines come together there is some unidentified fluid on the unibody rail. I'm fairly certain that the fluid is brake fluid, and I'm also certain that it is unrelated to this line as the Jeep had a broken hard brake line that had sent brake fluid all over the place.

Anyone know what this line is for? I'm assuming its a vent line of some sort.

For a closer look at the initial transition under the driver's footwell, from plastic to hard line.

This is the bad connection in the 1998 ZJ. It is missing the connector part.

50403107592_193a65df41_c.jpg

This is a good connection in the 1996 ZJ. It is connected by a rubber "sleeve."

50403145402_04305e51fc_c.jpg

I bet it is something to do with the evaporator canister as it is located behind the front bumper, just in front of the drivers front tire.

I have a 1998 Grand Cherokee factory service manual that I can look in to see where the lines go.

I bet it is something to do with the evaporator canister as it is located behind the front bumper, just in front of the drivers front tire.

I have a 1998 Grand Cherokee factory service manual that I can look in to see where the lines go.

I would tend to agree with this. Below is a '93 but I have the benefit of the front end being apart. The line you show I believe is covered in conduit here (everything else is wiring). It comes through the headlight support and attaches to the evap canister.

i.php

i.php

Back