• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear Triangulated 4-link..... worth doing?

Phil said:
At least Opie made me a bumper.
scrappy again said:
You live to far now... lets just be glad the bumper didn't fall off!
Hey, hey, Opie was trained in the MWC.
That bumper'll outlive the truck.
Of course, it may also outweigh it. :D

uncc civilengineer said:
=
ALSO, has anyone actually done something similar to what XJ-Ranger was talking about (a rear stinger on a xj)? I've seen them on TJ's and some buggy's but not a XJ...

im not talking about a rear stinger...

nooo... that would get you more shit than your cooler inhibiting bar... :D

im talking about moving the gas tank, removing the rear bumper, removing basically everything from the shackle bolt back, and putting a plate allong there that connects the shackle bolt area to where the hatch latches...

cutting farther into the rear of the body to make more room and have a better departure angle than the stock rear crossmember allows for...

rear stingers most often look like ass...

I think your only main goals in this are to get up the ledges... and i think (if im reading correctly) that your departure angle (and parhaps the leaves allowing your pinion angle to change) is whats fawking you over...

sounds like its time to remove some stuff that has gouges in it from getting hung on it...

right?

I see what youre talking about now... a rear "boatside"... very interested in this now... Also, I'm not experiencing much axle wrap at this time.. there is some but that's not what's causing my problems... it's departure angle..

I'm going home and cutting out my cooler bar as soon as I get off work..... I think i'll still leave the 10" center vertical bar though, for unibody support of course...

hmm...sounds familiar Opie....

IMG_0808.JPG

IMG_0816.JPG

gas tank thru the floor, rear crossmember is now the rear bumper......should be much better departure angle for me

...and don't worry, I'm going to try to make it look a little better when I get around to it ;)

Roxtar said:
Hey, hey, Opie was trained in the MWC.
That bumper'll outlive the truck.
Of course, it may also outweigh it. :D

I remember that bumper.

Aftershock won.

:D

--ron

Captain Ron said:
I remember that bumper.

Aftershock won.

:D