• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

welder options for xj things, newb here

Your best bet is a local store. They will give you good advice on a machine that fits your needs and budget. They'll also set you up with tanks, tools, and accessories.

Take it home and start welding.

This isn’t entirely true — I have a local airgas that will just plain run a newb right out of the store

I know I’m late to this thread but let me make some suggestions

1st of I’ve been welding for 25 years — never as a profession but I have made some money — enough to have paid for my equipment

I started out with a Lincoln weldpak 100 bought at price club - that’s Costco for you young guys — did a ton of work with that machine, easily weld 3/8” material with multiple passes — That welder was around for 10 years — remember that this was before the big box store welders — they are just not the same as a welder from a welding supplier

Shortly after the weldpak 100 I purchased a miller 250G engine driven machine — the weldpak 100 got me started, I soon realized I really enjoyed welding and it was time for a bigger machine but I didn’t have the electricity required to run a bigger machine — shop only had a 30 amp service

The 250g was a stick welder, mig welder with a spool gun, and a tig machine which could run AC for aluminum welding with the addition of a high frequency box — I had it all, acquired over some time — I still have this machine use it at that same location with limited power

When the Lincoln died I replaced with a miller 211 — this is a great welder — runs off both 110 and 220 and it’s plenty capable — weld exhaust pipes and sheet metal, then do 3/8 material with 1 pass

I also have a miller 280DX inverter machine — tig and stick weld with it — this machine is the cats ass

The point of all this — buy the most welder that you can afford no matter if you can use it or not — if you enjoy welding you’ll learn how to use you machine — don’t outgrow your welders capabilities, grow into your welder — if you find welding isn’t for you, you can always sell quality equipment for very little loss

I would strongly suggest the Miller 211 as your 1st welder

I would also suggest a quality auto dimming helmet with a large window — you must see what you are doing — spend $200 plus on your helmet

Yeah the place where I get my gas always makes me feel like I'm bothering them when I ask about a recommendation between a few products they're selling. Example antispatter nozzle gel vs spray.

Yeah the place where I get my gas always makes me feel like I'm bothering them when I ask about a recommendation between a few products they're selling. Example antispatter nozzle gel vs spray.

Just say, "I'm sorry for acting like a customer ". That usually changes their attitude. In certain situations I'll say,"why not pretend that you're getting paid by the hour ".

This isn’t entirely true — I have a local airgas that will just plain run a newb right out of the store

I know I’m late to this thread but let me make some suggestions

1st of I’ve been welding for 25 years — never as a profession but I have made some money — enough to have paid for my equipment

I started out with a Lincoln weldpak 100 bought at price club - that’s Costco for you young guys — did a ton of work with that machine, easily weld 3/8” material with multiple passes — That welder was around for 10 years — remember that this was before the big box store welders — they are just not the same as a welder from a welding supplier

Shortly after the weldpak 100 I purchased a miller 250G engine driven machine — the weldpak 100 got me started, I soon realized I really enjoyed welding and it was time for a bigger machine but I didn’t have the electricity required to run a bigger machine — shop only had a 30 amp service

The 250g was a stick welder, mig welder with a spool gun, and a tig machine which could run AC for aluminum welding with the addition of a high frequency box — I had it all, acquired over some time — I still have this machine use it at that same location with limited power

When the Lincoln died I replaced with a miller 211 — this is a great welder — runs off both 110 and 220 and it’s plenty capable — weld exhaust pipes and sheet metal, then do 3/8 material with 1 pass

I also have a miller 280DX inverter machine — tig and stick weld with it — this machine is the cats ass

The point of all this — buy the most welder that you can afford no matter if you can use it or not — if you enjoy welding you’ll learn how to use you machine — don’t outgrow your welders capabilities, grow into your welder — if you find welding isn’t for you, you can always sell quality equipment for very little loss

I would strongly suggest the Miller 211 as your 1st welder

I would also suggest a quality auto dimming helmet with a large window — you must see what you are doing — spend $200 plus on your helmet

Fairly certain I'll go with the Lincoln 3550 for a hood. Was strongly considering the Hobart 190, then many users recommended the hh 210mvp for a little more juice and power 110,220 versatility. For that coin I'm knocking at the door of a mm211 lol so I'm leaning uphill a bit, I do agree a better welder would likely resell for fair coin. The only reason to consider Hobart would be to stick with a transformer machine, I read so many mixed reviews, but ide imagine new Miller inverter tech is fairly robust at least for my needs.

I will check out some local suppliers. Most mm210/212 aren't dropping in price on the used market around here.

Let's take it one step further, Anyone using the Miller 215 as it is a multi process machine?
Just curious really. I don't plan on stick/ tig, but wondered if you all prefer individual machines for those purposes?

Last edited:
Every process has its pros and cons, and machines do vary in how they perform.

I have two stick machines. One is a Lincoln tombstone (classic old 240V buzzbox) and the other is a Miller Trailblazer (gas engine driven). The Miller Trailblazer has a much smoother arc than the Lincoln tombstone.

I was also very impressed with how smooth a Miller 211 (and only on 120V) was compared to my Lincoln SP135+ (similarly sized MIG machines).

I am very happy with my Lincoln TIG275. It beats the pants of the old Linde I learned on. But for the price it dang well should too.

Having all three systems available to me, I really would not want to give up any of them. The stick is what I least prefer to use, but if I have to weld outdoors it is the only shielding that really works. The TIG is expensive and had a steeper learning curve, but there is no substitute if you really need control of heat and the rate at which material gets added, plus no spatter with TIG. But I will say the MIG is the quickest and most convenient, as long as it suits what I need to do.

WRT to the welding helmet, I am going to guess you mean the Lincoln 3350 as 3550 doesn't show up on my search. That looks like a reasonable choice. One of my key details is that it have replaceable batteries, and it would appear that one does. Make sure you buy a spare set of batteries before you actually need them. It will probably be a couple of years before you do need them, but know that you eventually will. Being able to replace them sure beats needing to replace the hood. DAMHIKT.

I don't plan on stick/ tig, but wondered if you all prefer individual machines for those purposes?

You don't plan to stick/tig today but if the welding bug does find you...

I personally would have individual machines for the different processes -- Sometimes I'll tack something together with the mig then go full blown stick weld on it to finish it off -- Usually do this on heavy material like 1/2 plus steel where the 211 just isn't enough machine

Keep in mind my Miller 211 is a transformer machine, I was in before they went inverter on that so I have no comments on the inverter version

My 280 is an inverter machine -- kind of nice to be so compact with all that power -- a full 280 amps I believe

Your best bet is a dedicated Mig machine -- I like miller but there are plenty of guys who like Lincoln too

Pulled the trigger on the mvp210 and Lincoln 3350 hood.
Couldn't pass the welder at the 700$ price for the holidays, plus I got the hood brand spanky N.i.b. from a guy for 200$.
Ide say not too bad a setup for a newb, plenty of room to learn.

I'm very happy with the quality of both pieces of equipment, they perform very well.

Just keep your eyes peeled for a Millermatic 210 and call it a day. Old enough to help make the price come down and it'll do 3/8" when you need to. I've had mine since new, run .035 wire and never had an issue.

Let someone else pay the depreciation; that's what I did with my buzz box.

Update: Picked up a new Miller 252 about a year and a half ago. Love it!

I have been working as a welder for ten years, I earn good money on this and I plan to send my son along the path of a welder, because this profession will be relevant for several more years. I am convinced that it is this kind of work that will keep the economic stability in the country. This is what ensures the reliability and durability of the product that we manufacture. Almost everything has metal elements. And this is a global work. The colossal amount of hours spent making these parts. For my son I have already prepared https://weldingnearyou.com/school-cost/ so that he is convinced of the correctness of his choice and the need for such work

Back