• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

98 ZJ 4.0 can I swap in a Jasper rebuilt from a 01 TJ

Windriverhorse

NAXJA Forum User
Hello, I'm considering pulling my 4.0 in preparation to do a stroker build and want to know if the 01 TJ 4.0 motor from Jasper will work (1k for the motor....tree feel on the TJ) 50k miles. The motor is offered with the running gear and transmission from the TJ and I didn't know if I should consider getting it as well 1850 for all of it.

Anything I need to be aware of? Better ideas?

Thanks in advance

Not sure I follow. You are going to pull the 4.0 out of your ZJ to stroke it and are looking to buy the TJ motor for what?

That question aside the TJ motor will work. If there happen to be any differences it would just be your accessories. Keep in mind a '01 is going to have the 0331 head, though being a Jasper not sure if that is guaranteed. The transmission would be of zero use to you, your ZJ has a 42RE and the TJ has a 32RH.

Double check. I think the 01 Tj used the motor from the WJ. I forget which year it was. The motor mount brackets to the block are a bit different and the holes for the accessories are different. Look at the water pumps. The WJ block has an extra bolt. I also remember the oil pressure sender is at the rear of the block on the passenger side.

Back