• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Whinch or lockers

Luke

NAXJA Forum User
What should you do first, a winch or lockers on a XJ?? Im just getting in to off roading, after doing the import thing,to many tickets, crotch rocket thing, bike got stolen, some buddy's talked me into getting a XJ have;nt found one yet looking for a cheap dependable 91+ But planning on a axles swap, tomken 6 inch lift, 33s, if there is anything else I should get to support that setup for reliablity let me know
Lucas

lockers.

I think its better to be good at wheeling, and poor at extraction, rather than be excellent at extraction, and getting stuck more often.

if you never wheel alone, then lockers is your better choice.

A winch might look cooler than a locker, but you'll mostly never miss having to use it. Without a locker, you'll wish you had one when you're using bypasses and your buddies with lockers are motoring though an obstacle.

Lockers=cheap
Winch=expensive

lockers: $20 to weld, $400 for Aussie's, $1200 for ARBs
plus you need stronger axles for 33s and lockers

winch: MM8000 $400, Warn 8274 $800, Warn 9500ti $1200?
plus you need a winch bumper, a good battery and alternator

both can vary dramatically in cost. I say get the lockers and a $30 tow strap and wheel with friends. Get a hi-lift too, it's a 6 foot at a time winch ( :laugh3: takes forever, but it works)

Just wheel with a really big and strong buddy, then when you get stuck he or she can get out and transfer weight around till you get traction.

Mad Max, you've got too much time on your hands if you can make a flexy XJ picture out of slashes and brackets. Wish I could.

mad maXJ said:
lockers: $20 to weld
Warn 8274 $800

both can vary dramatically in cost. I say get the lockers and a $30 tow strap and wheel with friends. Get a hi-lift too, it's a 6 foot at a time winch ( :laugh3: takes forever, but it works)

8274--better think a little higher,unless you're buying one used,as they run closer to the $1200 mark:eek:

Lincoln Locker for the rear,EZ Locker/Lock Right/Aussie in front. Locked F&R for under $300! That's my current setup,and it rocks! Keep in mind,though,I don't use mine as a daily driver,but I do drive it on the road often(at least once a week).

My advise is simple: Learn to 'wheel in an open diffed rig 1st,then worry about lockers and winches. It will simply amaze you how much the lockers will improve your abilities offroad,but you'll never appreciate them unless you've 'wheeled without them first,and this will make you a better,smoother offroader when you do get them.

mad maXJ said:
winch: MM8000 $400, Warn 8274 $800, Warn 9500ti $1200?

Where are you getting a 8274 for $800? Let me know and I'll buy another one incase mine dies.

And I've been running it off an AutoZone Duralast battery and stock alternator without problems. Sure I'm going to upgrade to an Optima but this AutoZone battery won't die.

rockcrawlinxj said:
Just wheel with a really big and strong buddy, then when you get stuck he or she can get out and transfer weight around till you get traction.
Mattool is a very economical way to go...
picture.JPG

Jes

I'd have to agree with Georgia Mike. If you learn to wheel in an open diff, stock truck you will learn important things like wheel placement, picking a good line, power application, etc. Once you learn all that and become a good driver, the future mods you make will just be that much more appreciated. You will be a much more gracefull driver.

I've seen too many people in a truck that they either bought already modified or built before the the skill was there, just make a fool of themselves when they can't get their truck through someplace a reletivly stock truck just went with a skillled driver.

A winch is a good idea before or after any other mods. Even better is a buddy with another truck. But if you're dumb like me and go out by yourself, I'd go with the winch in a second.

My advise is simple: Learn to 'wheel in an open diffed rig 1st,then worry about lockers and winches. It will simply amaze you how much the lockers will improve your abilities offroad,but you'll never appreciate them unless you've 'wheeled without them first,and this will make you a better,smoother offroader when you do get them.[/QUOTE]

I agree 100%.

I think you should know your vehicle well enough off road to know when you really need the locker, well before you get one.

The winch on the other hand is a very usefull tool depending on the type of wheeling you do.

Personally I would get the winch and then the lockers. Either way I never wheel without others and I always carry a 60" hi lift.

Michael

Georgia Mike said:
My advise is simple: Learn to 'wheel in an open diffed rig 1st,then worry about lockers and winches. It will simply amaze you how much the lockers will improve your abilities offroad,but you'll never appreciate them unless you've 'wheeled without them first,and this will make you a better,smoother offroader when you do get them.

Georgia Mike is right on the money here. You said you were just getting into wheeling and looking for a rig - which to me means you PLAN to get into wheeling. Do yourself a favor and learn to drive a rig offroad first, and then modify it to carry you into and beyond increasingly more difficult obstacles as your skills advance. Wheeling with open diffs is the best way to learn things like tire placement, choosing lines, balance, momentum, timing, and the limits of your tires' tractive ability. Wheeling a built rig before you know any of these things could result in your getting in waaay over your head and doing damage to your rig, yourself, or worst of all someone else.
It sounds like you have plenty of money to spend. So if you MUST have lockers, I'd say go with selectable lockers and spend most of your time running with them open.
What you really need that you didn't mention is protection. Items like a t-case skid and rocker protection, stout bumpers with tow points, and a tank skid should appear very early in your build list.
Good luck and welcome to the fun.
:wave:

Spend your hard earned money and heres what ya get.
Lockers- you enjoy the use of it.
Winch - your buddies enjoy the use of it. TC

I'd say get the winch first, a properly sized and mounted winch is a one time upgrade. When "inchitis" sets in and you want more lift and larger tires you'll need to regear, if you add lockers to a stock cherokee ( non welded, or lunchbox ) you are at the break point on some carrier sizes, 3.54 and down, 3.73 and up. So unless you gear lower now you may be regearing again in the future$$$$.
So get a good winch, good mount and accessories, learn how to use it before you get into trouble. Wheel with your buddies and learn what works and what doesnt for your location. Its alot easier and cheaper to do it once. FLAME AWAY.

Later AJ

Hey guys thanks for all your input. Good info from all of you, Yes I have money to spend at once, no Im not rich my 03 CBR 600RR just got stolen... getting a nice insurance check ;) still miss the bike a little though. I plan probably waiting for the lockers now. Yes planning on some skid plates!
Any one know of a good 91+ XJ 2000 dollar range in the San Diego area??

Lucas

rockcrawlinxj said:
Mad Max, you've got too much time on your hands if you can make a flexy XJ picture out of slashes and brackets. Wish I could.

I didn't :laugh3: ssshhhh... don't tell, I stole it from a Toyota guy on another BB and changed it to square headlights and an XJ/MJ grille, took about 1 minute

Re: Winch or lockers

It looks like to me that the majority agree that lockers are the best choice IF your choice is only limited to lockers/winches. I am also a novice and am 2 years into the sport. I have neither lockers or a winch yet so I have been forced to wheel using skill. It has been trial and error with a lot of emphasis on the error part. I try to wheel with guys better than me which challenges my skill and have discovered that my limitations are all about me and that my rig is far more capable than I give it credit for. If you are just starting a build up start with a moderate lift and 31" tires then start protecting everything you can. As soon as my skids, rear bumper and front ARB bumper went on, my confidence level went up by leaps and bounds because I wasn't worrying about breaking stuff. More confidence has resulted in taking more calculated risks thus more skill. My axles, gears and other drivetrain parts are all stock. I am working on rebuilding a rear Dana 44 that will soon have 4:10 gears, new shafts and ARB (selectable) lockers. My front Dana 30 will get the same treatment. Once I get locked up I'll get a winch and then bring my rig up to 5.5" and toss on some 33" Dueler MT's which will be close to done.

I plan to wheel unlocked the majority of the time and use the lockers only when needed. If the lockers can't get me out I'll get a yank from someone else or winch. Like someone said before, nobody appreciates your winch more than your buddies. They just aren't used as much.

Last summer I went to the Rubicon and just watched rigs go through the gatekeeper. The majority went trough fully locked and a few had to be yanked through. A couple guys went through fully locked and rolled. A VERY young guy came through in a moderately modified Wrangler. He had ARB's but broke something and had to go through unlocked and in 2WD. He had a tough time doing it but was successful because he had been wheeling without lockers for a couple years and had a great eye when choosing his lines.

Get some clearance through a lift and tires, armor up and then get lockers. If you still want a winch get one later. Cruise e-bay and the various forums for good deals and you might get an M8000 for $250-$400. Get the skill, then get the bells and whistles later.

Being a former rice rocket jock (good move by the way) you know all the performance mods. I'm sure you have seen some capable cars piloted by un-skilled drivers who quickly turned their vehicles into spare parts in a junk yard because they NEVER WORKED ON SKILL. Same thing applies in this sport. Work on the skill and supplement it with equipment.

Welcome to the XJ Family!

Kenji
:flamemad:

i see it differently than many here...after covering all the delicate underside parts with some steel (my first mods)...i felt actually making my 4 wheel drive "4 wheel drive" was the best and most logical thing i could do. somehow driving a vehicle that said 4x4 on the side.....but only actually guaranteed 2 wheels were driving wasn't what i really had i mind when i got into this . to me this was a no brainer :flame:

Last edited:
Back