• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Lockers?!?!?!?!?!?

96blackxj

NAXJA Forum User
i've been looking into getting a locker for my 96 cherokee, i have 4 inches of lift and 32 inch tires. I have a chrysler 8.25 in the rear, and that is where i'm thinking about putting the locker, and arb is out of the question as i am a college student. I've been reading about lockright lockers by powertrax, but i need some information on them and any other good lockers by people who have them in their vehicles and have beat on them for awhile. I drive on the road a lot also, i need something that isn't going to tear my tires apart around corners on the road. if some of you guys have lockers and can tell me the truth about them, not try to sell them to me, that would be GREAT! thanks a lot.

I owned a Detroit Locker in my DD for about a year and a half and I wouldn't do it again. I didn't like the way the tires would bind up around corners (I like to give it gas even around the corners) and then release all of the sudden causing a chirp and kind of a sideways jump while in the turn. I'll go selectable or I've even thought of throwing a spool (more predictable handling) in there because it's cheap. It did make the tires wear out quicker, but the clencher for me was the fact that going up mountains with slite sidehill, gravely slopes, the rear end would just walk right off the side easier than with an open diff. So my vote would be ARB. But you've ruled that out, so don't spend much, just get a lunchbox locker you can put in yourself so that if you don't like it, you sell it and you're not out much.

Check out the full list of products pdf file on their site, the Aussie locker is available for the 27-spline 8.25.

I have ran a lock-rite for over a year and now have an Aussie in my D44. I also have a Manaul Tranny, which has been said to make an automatic locker just unbearable, well from my expierence this has not been so.

I have learned to work with it, coasting through corners, easy on the pedal when making a turn. It does click and the lock-rite did bang at times. So far neither have let me down, locked when I needed them and they unlock around most corners. My biggest complaint would be u-turns, but listen to a guy who is welded or has a spool, squeal, squeal, squeal.

If you want cheap traction and don't want all the tire squeal, which can lead to excess tire wear, get a lock-right. Is it the best solution, absolutely not, but with limited funds it works well.

Even though the installation is easy, just be careful with it.

Tucker said:
Check out the full list of products pdf file on their site, the Aussie locker is available for the 27-spline 8.25.

please show me where you see that.

Cherokee XJ
1984-2000 Front DANA Model 30 27 10 XD-13027 $250.00 $199.99
1987-1993
(metric ton or towing opt)
Rear DANA Model 44 30 10 XD-14430 $260.00 $199.99
1990-1993
Rear DANA Model 35 27 10 XD-13527 $260.00 $199.99
1994-1997
Tac-Lok standard
Rear DANA Model 35 27 10 XD-13527B $260.00 $199.99
1984-1989 Rear DANA Model 35 27 10 XD-13527 $260.00 $199.99

Aussie on 27spline 8.25

The Aussie should be available in November, at least that's what I was told when I purchased my Dana 30 locker last month...

Just a messenger..

Wade

well since i don't have adobe or anything of that sort i can't see it. so i take your word for it.:)

cherokeekid95 said:
well since i don't have adobe or anything of that sort i can't see it. so i take your word for it.:)
Tucker is right, model #XD-58227, for chrysler 8.25 27 spline

Anything other than a lunch-box locker is to much to spend on a 27 spline axle!Go for it!

lunch box locker?

What is a lunch box locker and what is a spline anyways? and is it for sure that on my 96 xj sport i have a 27 spline axle in a chrysler 8.25? because i read somewehre that there was a 29 spline also, what does the spline number mean, and how do i find out which number my axle has?????????? thanks again

I run a NoSlip... love it...kinda pricey though...but i haven't broke it yet...

To answer your questions...

Splines are the grooves in the end of the axle shafts that mate with the differential side gears and transmit torque to the wheels. The more splines, the stronger the axle shaft. Your '96 has a 27 spline 8.25; in '97 they upgraded to 29 splines. You could replace your axle shafts with the upgraded ones and get a locker intended for the newer model axle if strength is a concern for you, but unless you are extremely excessive with the gas pedal your current axle should be fine.

A lunchbox locker is one that replaces the spider and side gears inside the differential carrier (and is relatively easy to install,) as opposed to a full case locker that replaces the existing differential entirely and would require re-setting the ring & pinion backlash.

My '97 XJ has been running a Powertrax No-Slip in my D35 behind a 5-speed transmission on 31" and then 32" tires for several years and find it to be manageable once you get used to the quirks. It is much quieter than the Powertrax Lockrite or the Detroit EZ Locker because it has a synchronizing system that eliminates the ratcheting sounds.

the 29 spline cryco 8.25 was to be out in nov now 4 weeks behind, i'm on the list as soon as it is out.

From Bill Cole Pres of Aussie Lockers

Hi Eric.

We do have the 8.25 in our schedule of new models. We originally had them
scheduled for a November launch, but we have had to move our development
engineers from new products to getting some new manufacturing systems
installed to meet the large demand for the Aussie Locker. Right now I do
not expect to see the 8.25 locker available until early Spring, like in
min-March. We apologize for the delay.

Bill

Re: To answer your questions...

Lawn Cher' said:
Your '96 has a 27 spline 8.25; in '97 they upgraded to 29 splines.

The change from 27 to 29 spline shafts occurred mid-96.

Back