• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

wide 33s vs 35s

LOCKED UP

NAXJA Forum User
I know not all tires are their listed sizes..... but I'm thinking about my next tire purchase....

I'm torn between getting wider 33s or 35s. I know both will put more strain on my junk, though I'd like to keep the gain in stress to a minimum.

Right now I'm running 33x12.5 BFG mts & they fit just fine. If I get wider 33s I could stay at my current lift height & they should clear. That would be good since I'd be gaining stability through the wider tire & get a little more flotation. The 35 would of course increase ground clearance... a little.... but would (using the same wheels) make me that much less stable & I'd probably need to add to my suspension.

I was fully planning on going to 35s & adding to the lift, but I finally got my steering setup working & the extra lift would likely bring the bumpsteer back.... so I'm now leaning towards the wider 33s....

Gearing & extra lift cost aside ... whatcha think? Would I be better off going with something like a 35x12.5 MT or a 33x13.5-155 swamper? Would a 33x14 bogger just be too much traction & destroy more stuff compared to a wide 33 swamper or a 35?

Either way I'll be running a small 33 AT on the street to help extend the life of my ball joints & other junk...

I'm running a hp d30 up front with a MORE steering kit, MM hub kit 4.56s & lockrite

Rear is a 29spline 8.25 with alloys & powertrax.

What kind of wheelin do you plan to do? If you're rock crawlin get the 35x12.5 and run more bump stop, if mud then get the 33x13.5s :D

Sit in the middle with a 34x12.5 Interco trxus MT. If you want the wider tire, put 'em on 10" rims.

Nay

LOCKED UP said:
I know not all tires are their listed sizes..... but I'm thinking about my next tire purchase....

I'm torn between getting wider 33s or 35s. I know both will put more strain on my junk, though I'd like to keep the gain in stress to a minimum.

Right now I'm running 33x12.5 BFG mts & they fit just fine. If I get wider 33s I could stay at my current lift height & they should clear. That would be good since I'd be gaining stability through the wider tire & get a little more flotation. The 35 would of course increase ground clearance... a little.... but would (using the same wheels) make me that much less stable & I'd probably need to add to my suspension.

I was fully planning on going to 35s & adding to the lift, but I finally got my steering setup working & the extra lift would likely bring the bumpsteer back.... so I'm now leaning towards the wider 33s....

Gearing & extra lift cost aside ... whatcha think? Would I be better off going with something like a 35x12.5 MT or a 33x13.5-155 swamper? Would a 33x14 bogger just be too much traction & destroy more stuff compared to a wide 33 swamper or a 35?

Either way I'll be running a small 33 AT on the street to help extend the life of my ball joints & other junk...

I'm running a hp d30 up front with a MORE steering kit, MM hub kit 4.56s & lockrite

Rear is a 29spline 8.25 with alloys & powertrax.

12.50" width is a good width for a cherokee. I have 35x12.50x15 mtr's and love them. I see alot of rocks in Northern California. Going wider than 12.50 could give your more problems than if you went up to a 35" and ran tj or bushwacker flares. 33x12.50x15 are very adequate but 35x12.50x15 give you an inch more axle clearance, but will stress your axle a bit more. I have a 8.25 29 spline too, but is currently open but I have a no-slip ready to go into it.

Well, I'm hearing on other boards that a 35 will actually stress shafts/etc more than something like a 33x14 bogger due to the leverage, but the 14 wide will be hard on the BJs......

I'm in south Louisiana, my XJ has never seen a rock.

Back