• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Under hood temps?

1-tonxj

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
I have what looks like a functioning mechanical fan and e fan. I have fixed my exhaust leak and yet it still seems like my Under hood temps are the extreme. My jeep doesn't overheat or runs at at or just under 210 all day on trail . Today I Idle tested for heat build up first running the cooling sysyen ad normal and after about 20 minutes the struts bodies in the fender wells were already uncomfortably hot to touch and these aren't even directly under hood . The on trail temps get everything so hot they could burn you if you kept a hand on things like the struts towers . Thus heat has killed either the PTFE in the hoses or the seals possibly both as my struts started leaking from the heat exposure. I did a second heat test idling for 45 minutes with the coolant temp sensor hooked to make the e fan run constant this dropped the driver side considerably based on touch the passenger still hot to touch. The mech fan appears to work so I don't know what else to look for that would get things this hot ?... or maybe this under hood temps is normal and I need to move some strut parts and modify things to cool better than stock ... I just think if this were normal it would be a more discussed problem by those with high end shocks up front. ..lol... I can't rebuild and run these ORI struts until I figure out how not to kill them from heat .

Back