• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Fender Flare Poll

Better fender flare poll

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

jdougn

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
My expensive fender flares shattered so I decided to make my own that wouldn't. If there is enough interest I could make some extras.

This is an original design. It doesn't stick out as far as Bushwackers but it is still made for a cut-out fender. This pict is showing a Jeep Cherokee on 33x12.5 with the New Fender Flare prototype.
SDC10079.jpg

Please forgive the ice & snow. It's been winter around here......

Last edited:
I personally would like to build a tube flare that would tie into the front bumper and some rock sliders.

looks good. i'd like to see the rear.

I'm pretty happy with my TJ flares.

Super cheap, super tough, and I really like the look.

But good luck to you...

Robert

What other companies make flexible flares other then rustys? or are thoes the ones your talking about? I think the flex are the way to go. ive asked a few people on here who have them and they all love them. their still flexable in really cold conditions, and still hold there shape in really hot conditions.

the only thing I can see that might be a problem is if you have a really wide tire they dont look like they stick out that much further. maybe 1.5" over stock

What other companies make flexible flares other then rustys? ....the only thing I can see that might be a problem is if you have a really wide tire they dont look like they stick out that much further. maybe 1.5" over stock
The ones that shattered were bushwackers. They stuck out way past the tire and hit trees and rocks before the tires. They looked good but I couldn't see replacing them all the time.

These new fender flares stick out only as far as the tire sidewall in the fairly typical setup I'm running (33x12.5 w/6" lift) . That's just far enough to catch debris being flung off the tires.
Doug

The ones that shattered were bushwackers. They stuck out way past the tire and hit trees and rocks before the tires. They looked good but I couldn't see replacing them all the time.

These new fender flares stick out only as far as the tire sidewall in the fairly typical setup I'm running (33x12.5 w/6" lift) . That's just far enough to catch debris being flung off the tires.
Doug

those new ones are made by rigid? when I first read the poll I thought you meant "rigid" as in not flexible. I didnt see them on their site. are they alot cheeper then the flex flares?

those new ones are made by rigid? when I first read the poll I thought you meant "rigid" as in not flexible. I didnt see them on their site. are they alot cheeper then the flex flares?

Rigid as in the opposite of flexible.

I'm interested in how you made the flare? Also, aren't they a little too similar to bushwacker's to be able to market them?

Yeah, the back flares are being redone. The first ones didn't look just right. One part will have to go on the door (like Bushwacker) but other than that they look the same as the front.
Doug

the ideal for me would be rears are entirely on the quarter-panel rather than splitting onto the door

the ideal for me would be rears are entirely on the quarter-panel rather than splitting onto the door
That's what I was going for but with a full cut-out fender well for 33" tires there is only a narrow strip of sheet metal left so to get the shape to look right the flare had to go on the door.

On the other hand, it wouldn't be too hard to create another set of models. They could be closer in height and width to stock yet still provide the extra coverage. Just a thought.....
Doug

I'm interested in how you made the flare? Also, aren't they a little too similar to bushwacker's to be able to market them?

x2

REs lift kits are an awful lot like other brands lift kits as well, yet other companies can market theirs

...I'm interested in how you made the flare? Also, aren't they a little too similar to bushwacker's to be able to market them?
The rigid flares are thermoformed, some call it vacuum formed, from ABS. There are only a few products even available for thermoforming something like a fender flare. The flexible ones are a much different process since they are from polyurethane. They are harder to make and take more time but I was just doing this for me so it really didn't matter.

I did do a patent search just to see if this was totally stupid to even offer these to anyone else although I'm not sure that these are being "marketed". Nothing came up from Bushwacker (BW) or any other company, that look like it applied to these flares. BW does have patents but not on the pocket design, the cut-out concept, or the basic idea of a fender flare. These models are original designs and not even close to the same dimensions as BW. Other than that I didn't look any further......
Doug

What sort of pricing ? And what fasteners are you using ?
For sure pricing is going to be a big issue. The rigid flares could probably be $100 less than BW. However, the materials for the flexible flares costs more plus the process is more involved. The flexible flares could go for about the same as BW. This really isn't an answer but until a few sets are made there's no real way to know.

The actual fasteners haven't been decided on and is very open to discussion. On the top of the list is a weather proof, self-tapping screw made for industrial roofing applications with a large diameter head. These screws can also be painted, they are easy to use, weatherproof, and don't cost too much. Suggestions accompanied by the fastener source are certainly welcome here.
Doug

I noticed that the results of the poll are favoring neither flare. I just don't understand that. I love having options. I would vote for you making both ridgid and flexible if that was an option. I would love to have some of those like in your photo. I personally think BW's look like crap unless you have really wide tires.

Back