• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Temp gauge, part 2

brtb

NAXJA Forum User
Got a new temp sender from the dealer. Cold = 1600 ohms... just like the one from Advance, and nowhere near Eagle's suggested cold readout of 88 ohms. Still no readout on the temp gauge... if I ground the wire leading to the sender the gauge jumps all the way to the left, as it should. Is the dealer here just as clueless as Advance and gave me a sensor for a later model, or do i have something else wrong?

odd thought of this morning... my XJ seems to be closer to 87 than 88, has an 87-style cluster among other things. Did they change temp senders between 87 and 88?

Mea Culpa.

I got some bad info and passed it along, for which I apologize profusely. Don't remember where I read that all the gauges have the same ohm rating, but page C143 of the 1988 FSM (which is also the 1986 FSM), says the temp gauge sender should have the following resistances:

100 degrees = 1365
220 degrees = 93.5
260 degrees = 55.1

The 88 ohms was at least correct for the oil pressure and fuel gauges, but I don't know how I got so far off on the temp.

The 1988 Electical Troubleshooting manual describes the coolant gauge as gaving two opposing magnetic coils. The 'H' coil grounds through the sensor. The 'C' coil grounds directly through the instrument panel. It's possible that if the 'C' coil isn't getting a reliable ground, the relationship of the two opposing coils would be screwed up and the gauge would be inaccurate.

Agin, my apology for passing along bad info.

Eagle said:
Mea Culpa.

I got some bad info and passed it along, for which I apologize profusely. Don't remember where I read that all the gauges have the same ohm rating, but page C143 of the 1988 FSM (which is also the 1986 FSM), says the temp gauge sender should have the following resistances:

100 degrees = 1365
220 degrees = 93.5
260 degrees = 55.1

The 88 ohms was at least correct for the oil pressure and fuel gauges, but I don't know how I got so far off on the temp.

The 1988 Electical Troubleshooting manual describes the coolant gauge as gaving two opposing magnetic coils. The 'H' coil grounds through the sensor. The 'C' coil grounds directly through the instrument panel. It's possible that if the 'C' coil isn't getting a reliable ground, the relationship of the two opposing coils would be screwed up and the gauge would be inaccurate.

Agin, my apology for passing along bad info.

No problem... at least we got the right numbers. According to that, my engine isn't even hot yet...good stuff. :D I'll hook in the ohmmeter for now... this thing has a lot of bad wiring so a flaky ground wouldn't surprise me in the least.

Thanks!

Back