• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Engine replacement

Dented

NAXJA Forum User
I'm looking to do a V8 swap

2001 4.0 140k, New Heads 2k, NP231 w/SYE

Engine runs and works great. What is it worth?

Is this the place this post?

Have you checked into New Jersey's auto emissions rules?
What is require to legally install a different engine and have it pass and receive its emission's certification?

Converting to a V8 is a very expensive, time consuming project, with all the electronic and emissions problems to figure out.

Stroking your existing 4.0 can provide 300-HP and a bunch torque, with a little planning. Installing it is a weekend job, since it's a direct bolt-in engine.
It is so simple compared to a conversion and will get you to the same place, unless you want a stupid amount of power.

With a well built engine, it will pass the smog test and, if left stock looking, will not catch the attention of the inspector. Good luck having the same with the V8.

NJ doesn’t even check emissions anymore — basically they hook up to your computer, check for cleared codes — if none you pass — I have never seen them open a hood and look at an engine

95 and older OBD1 vehicles don’t need state inspection — bring one to the inspection station and they send you away

95 and older OBD1 vehicles don’t need state inspection — bring one to the inspection station and they send you away

I thought you had a 2001? Nothing was mentioned about 1995 or older XJ.

Back