• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Gpnf snow run

BPB

NAXJA Forum User
After venturing up in the snow last weekend, I figured that I wanted to get a group together so I could go further. A couple phone calls and a week of anticipation later we headed up. I didn't get a lot of pictures, I'll leave it to Dustin to post his torx report

81ca35edcd5df0e78e274dd250af5407.jpg
9fcb060bda7e480ddf2327fe61eb129a.jpg

Dustin's high steer arm went rogue
4e9235019f182ca7cf5a49d7907e5f8f.jpg
0cf08884c7fe86090d8a1f9897ed46d4.jpg

After the group met up in BG in the morning, we convoyed out toward Sunset Falls. I'll never make a point to stop at this day use again thanks to the .gov. :rolleyes:
DSCN2313.jpg

Hit snow pretty quick, and all signs of old tracks were almost totally covered, which was a great sign for conditions to come.
DSCN2317.jpg

BPB deflated his bladder.
DSCN2319.jpg

First time seeing Scott on the trail in his own rig in a long time. Bit of a re-learning curve at first.
DSCN2320.jpg

After a second drop in pressure, I was breaking fresh trail in second gear. Ben kept up well until he was just pushing too much snow for 31's. Had to fish him out a time or two.
DSCN2321.jpg

Passed the torched Ford.
DSCN2323.jpg

At the junction of the 53, Chad took the lead, and we cruised over the top plowing snow down to the rock quarry.
DSCN2324.jpg

Staggered the tire sizes, and we were able to cruise.
DSCN2325.jpg

DSCN2326.jpg

DSCN2330.jpg

DSCN2331.jpg

We had lunch at the rock quarry, and buzzed around a bit. Another group was already heading up the 42 towards Cougar Rock. I was itching for fresh snow so we planned to head down and over to the 41.

My steering on the way down developed a pretty big dead spot. I attributed it to my tires since they only had a few pounds in them. Once we pulled into the day use (pavement) I felt something let loose and then had almost a full turn of dead play in the wheel.

Upon further inspection I sheared two of three 9/16" high steer bolts from my passenger knuckle. Well there's your problem! Not having a way to remove them, we McGyver'd a fix for me to limp the rig home via back roads where no vans full of nuns would be in danger, and I could take my sweet time. Got home with no more issues, and repairs/upgrades are already underway.
DF5F6B16-23DE-4509-991F-53324BE79CD3.jpg

Thanks for the help in the repair guys, and sorry we had to call it early. I'm already looking at the forecast itching for another run soon!

Back