• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Elbe Hills: 8-22-15

TORX

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
I wanted to wheel this weekend, and with most of Oregon's trail systems closed due to the fact that their state is on fire, I looked at other options. Elbe Hills being one of them. Elbe is located about two and a half hours north of Vancouver, and just southwest of Mt. Rainier.

I checked fluids on the Jeep, respooled the winch, and put a few pounds of air in the tires Friday night. It hasn't really moved since returning from Naches, but all seemed okay.

Left Vancouver 0700, set the cruise, and hopped on I5. Fueled up in Morton, bought my Discover Pass, and continued onto Elbe. I pulled into the campground around 0920 to find the Piston's Wild and Evergreen Crawlers just staging to leave, perfect timing. Pulled the cores, dropped a few pounds, and joined the group.

Started with Sunrise Trail just outside the staging area.
DSCN1936.jpg

DSCN1939.jpg

We had a good variety of rigs in the group from JK's, TJ's, Zuk's, and an FJ.
DSCN1940.jpg

Tony making his way down the trail, the tree line to the right was a fun optional line.
DSCN1941.jpg

DSCN1942.jpg

Heading into the Busy.
DSCN1943.jpg

DSCN1945.jpg

It's pretty impressive just how dug out some portions of the trail area. Doug's cage barely above ground level.
DSCN1947.jpg

JK got high-centered on one of the many stumps you had to watch out for.
DSCN1950.jpg

Tate in the other XJ.
DSCN1954.jpg

Dropping in.
DSCN1958.jpg

Threading the needle in a few spots with the JK's.
DSCN1960.jpg

DSCN1962.jpg

DSCN1966.jpg

DSCN1970.jpg

There's been some work done on the Busy since the last time I ran it. Some fun optional rock crawl areas along the trail have been added.
DSCN1971.jpg

Another optional play area.
DSCN1975.jpg

DSCN1980.jpg

I'm always good to do something stupid. Managed to roll this behemoth under the front end when realigning.
DSCN1981.jpg

That's the line.
DSCN1984.jpg

DSCN1986.jpg

Continuing on the Busy.
DSCN1988.jpg

Paul got a little detained between a stump and a log.
DSCN1992.jpg

DSCN1996.jpg

DSCN2000.jpg

DSCN2004.jpg

DSCN2006.jpg

DSCN2008.jpg

Done with the Busy.
DSCN2011.jpg

Continuing onto the Gotcha log crawl.
DSCN2017.jpg

DSCN2020.jpg

DSCN2025.jpg

DSCN2027.jpg

Tweaked steering, nothing a quick winch pull could fix.
DSCN2028.jpg

Rainier Vista hill climb.
DSCN2030.jpg

Finished up Rainier Vista with a fun rock crawl at the end, and then played around in the rock pit while the others finished the trail.
DSCN2033.jpg

Darel's tweaked steering finally gave out and sheared a TRE at the end of the trail. Luckily he had a trailer waiting for him at the staging area.
DSCN2035.jpg

I aired up, and then proceeded to make the drive back home, no bubbles no troubles.

Looks like fun! I wouldn't mind making a trip up there before the rains come!

Back