• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Your thoughts on Renix to HO Swap?

ratherbcamping

NAXJA Forum User
After getting about 80% complete with my Renix 4.0 rebuild, I came across a deal on a 4.0 HO with low mileage and bought it. I am sticking with the Renix system and I don’t have the electronics to swap over anyway. The way I see it, I have three options and I’m interested in feedback on the pros and cons of each.

Option 1: Drop in the whole engine complete with manifolds and swap over the sensors and distributor from the Renix. I would have to adapt the TPS and change the fuel rail over. Not sure the old fuel rail will fit the newer manifold? And then there’s the power steering pump to deal with…..

Option 2: Adapt the old Renix manifolds to fit the HO head and swap everything else over. I like this option the best because I can maintain all the stock equipment and not have to tear into the low mileage HO engine. I’m a little uncomfortable about forcing the Renix manifolds to fit the HO head. I’ve seen posts where it’s been done, but how difficult is it and is it a good long-term solution?

Option 3: I have a completely rebuilt Renix head that I could drop on this engine and be ready to go. This option probably makes the most sense, but I hate tearing apart a good engine. One advantage of this option is that I plan to build a stroker with the Renix block. I could keep the HO head and manifolds and run them on the stroker.

So, what would you do if it where your XJ?

Thanks for the input.

Tom

What year is the HO? Depending on what year the HO is, you may have to do more or less to swap it over.

Back