• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

4 point harness in an MJ

bzdel2441

NAXJA Forum User
I ordered just a lap belt set off ebay but they ended up sending me a complete 4 point harness kit. It is worth alot more so im not giving it up.. but I am wondering if I could install it without having a inside cage? Maybe if I could mount a bar in the back going accross the rear I could mout to that or somthing. Anyone have any opinions?? The directions tell me to mount it to the floor if there is no avail spots but I was wathcing Trucks and he said never mount them to the floor because it could crush your spine or somthing...

Thanks
Chris

Yeah, you definitely want to have it within 10 degrees of your shoulders....not 90 degress (like mounting it to the floor).

I guess you could put a bar behind the seats for them, but you would obviously want to make sure it is solidly attached. I'm not that familiar with the insides of MJs....so I don't know how possible that is without a cage.

you dont want a harness without a cage, say you go over and are harnessed in without the cage, it will make it a lot harder to duck if you need to and the roof collapses

Ok I went and took a look in the MJ and even with a cage I dont see how I can mount it without the straps being parallel with my back.. I mean there is no room behind the seats and I am a tall guy 6-2 so the seat is already almost touching the back wall. So even with a cage there no way to get the belts so they are not parallel with my back. So I am not sure on this one... Any opinions?? I could always just install them for the looks and just use the stock belts...j/k

Thanks
Chirs

BrettM said:
you can't even fit a 1.5" tube behind the seats? I'm 5'11" and there's plenty of room for me, though I do like my seat farther forward than most people of similar size.

I can but what i am saying it if i mount it to a bar behind the seats wouldnt it just make it the same angle as if I mounted it to the floor?? If the cage is pressed all the way to the wall thats still almost the belts parallel with my back...

Chris

the problem with mounting it to the floor is the strap comes over your shoulder then heads almost straight down. in the event of a crash, as you body moves forward it will pull down on your shoulders instead of back on them.

mount a tube however you may behind your shoulders with the belts attached to that or looping over that and when you get in a crash the belts will only pull back on your shoulders.

The NHRA rule book says mount the shoulder straps level with shoulders to 4" below shoulders. Racing an MJ in stock I am using the standard 3 point factory belt. If I put a roll bar in it then I need the 5 point harness. I don't see how you can mount a sturdy cross bar without quite a bit of work (if you want to keep the interior trim)

Is this MJ a cherry daily driver, or a trail junk? If it's a trail beater, just punch through the back wall of the cab below the window and install the mounts with a LARGE fender washer on the outside -- or run a flat bar or channel across the full width of the can on the outside.

Eagle said:
Is this MJ a cherry daily driver, or a trail junk? If it's a trail beater, just punch through the back wall of the cab below the window and install the mounts with a LARGE fender washer on the outside -- or run a flat bar or channel across the full width of the can on the outside.
why can't he do that if it's cherry? ;)

just kidding man, i agree with preserving a cherry MJ, but I also believe in abusing the crap outta the already beat MJs :D

Back