• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Awesome 1979 CJ5 Forsale

mdwatkins

NAXJA Forum User
Up forsale is my 1979 CJ 5.

This is a desert Jeep and from what I was told by the previous owner, it always has been. What this means is that there is a lack of rust that you'd find on other CJ's of this year. There is some minor surface rust and staining from exterior attachments such as footman's loop, windshield tie downs etc. This is not major, and appears to be staining from the hardware rusting and the oxidation running off onto the paint (I can get pictures if you like). It has a 258 strait six, T-18 tranny, Dana 20 T-case, AMC 20 rearend and Dana 30 frontend. I have been told that the Odometer is correct at reading 49K in original miles...whether this is true or not is up to you, I had to take the previous owners word for it, so you'll have to do the same. It could have 149K, but I just don't know other than it drives like it only has 49K. If it does have 49, then you're getting a helluva deal, and if it has 149, well, you're still getting a helluva deal. The Engine is strong, as-well as the tranny and tcase and it doesn't leak any fluids.

The body, hood, and fenders are in excellent condition, no rust anywhere. It was repainted a couple of years ago by the pervious owner, and could use some touch ups, but is otherwise in good condition.

It has a completely new suspension with Old Man Emu YJ springs on a Shackle Reversal System from Rocky Road Outfitters. There isn't one suspension item on here that I didn't replace with new pieces (other than the axles). The shack reversal has netted a total of 4.5" of lift. If you have never driven a Jeep with a reversal you are missing out...it drives and rides like your grandpa's cadi. It doesn't wander, or dart and handles awesome at highspeeds now. The SRS also has turned the CJ into a flex machine.

Other new parts:

1. Bestop Supertop w/full soft doors
2. Complete heating and cooling system from radiator, water pump, heater core, all hoses, control cables and switches.
3. Windshield and gasket
4. Gas tank filler and vent hoses
5. Complete tie rod assemblies (both rods and ends)
6. 4wd dual steering stabalizer
7. CV driveshaft conversion and shaft from Six States Distributers
8. Stainless braided steel brakelines
9. Weber 2 barrel 32/26 DEV carb with electric choke

I've also got a number of other parts that will be included that I have never gotten around to installing. They include a chrome front clip cover (I got this off ebay...it will need a polishing, but it is in great condition), and new front seat belts, as-well as any other parts that I might be overlooking.

In the last year that I have owned the Jeep I have invested over 3K in new parts that I need to try to get back out of it so I am asking $4,200.00 but will entertain any offer as it has got to go.

Let me know if you need more pics, or specific pics of something.

Thanks

Matt

fc61ac38.jpg

This is of the drivers side

fc61ac41.jpg

Front after SRS

fc599780.jpg

This is of some rear tire flex...with extra to spare, but that's all I could get outta this ditch.

fc5995da.jpg

Better shot of the rear flexing

fc5995e7.jpg

Front end flex

Last edited:
Back