• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

SoCalFest Pictures

Anak

Stranger
NAXJA Member
Day 1, AAT, Cleghorn

Thanks to the recent fire certain things became more evident than they had been:

SoCalFest2017OPT2.jpg

This could be a new expo rig requirement: Roof-top Porta-Potty:

SoCalFest2017OPT5.jpg

In case Mom has any doubt what happened to that particular pair of pants:

SoCalFest2017OPT26.jpg

A new friend?

SoCalFest2017OPT35.jpg

Nope. Rejected.

SoCalFest2017OPT39.jpg

Looking for yet another new friend:

SoCalFest2017OPT41.jpg

All set up in camp:

SoCalFest2017OPT51.jpg

Day 2, the scenic run (AKA the easy run)

Figuring out why Tim's MJ won't start, just before he needs to lead a run. (Truck probably knew what it was in for that day):

SoCalFest2017OPT73.jpg

Wilbur's Grave:

SoCalFest2017OPT85.jpg

Lunch spot:

SoCalFest2017OPT143.jpg

Peter going through the rocks in Jacoby Canyon:

SoCalFest2017OPT152.jpg

David, Noah and Geoff:

SoCalFest2017OPT160.jpg

Geoff:

SoCalFest2017OPT163.jpg

Day 3. It's SnoCalFest:

The few who braved it out overnight:

SoCalFest2017OPT175.jpg

And

SoCalFest2017OPT176.jpg

And

SoCalFest2017OPT179.jpg

And (Poor Gomer--So much for resort living.)

SoCalFest2017OPT182.jpg

And

SoCalFest2017OPT186.jpg

And

SoCalFest2017OPT193.jpg

And

SoCalFest2017OPT201.jpg

And

SoCalFest2017OPT202.jpg

This is how I make The Varmints clean the Jeep:

SoCalFest2017OPT210.jpg

The drive home:

SoCalFest2017OPT217.jpg

Awesome pics! How funny, It snowed last year's SocalFest too.

I blame my gf. She did not attend this year or last year. Hasn't snowed in the past socalfest events I have been.

It was snowing when I left Sunday afternoon and it was either snowing or hailing all the way down Hwy 38 until I pulled in the driveway.

It was snowing when I left Sunday afternoon and it was either snowing or hailing all the way down Hwy 38 until I pulled in the driveway.

Damn, that's a hell of a storm. Was it icy coming down the 38?

Was it icy coming down the 38?
Mostly between Heart Bar and Angelus Oaks. Almost enough to put it in 4hi with a 231. I had to stop twice to de-ice my wiper blades. Caltrans was just beginning to require chains heading up from Angelus Oaks when i went through.

I passed one accident where someone had pulled off in a turnout, slid on the acumullated snow and hit a car that was already stopped.

I went down 330 and it was just wet. Small fluries, hardly needed wipers. They were requiring chains to head up though.

How was the temperature inside that tent?

No thermometer, but we were plenty warm.

In the first place, that is a true 4-season tent. North Face USMC Arctic tent.

Then I put down mylar/foam "survival" blankets under our thermarests, then the sleeping bags, then a couple of wool blankets and then a couple of quilted moving blankets on top of that. Add fleece "pajamas" and a knit cap and I wasn't the least bit cold. Plus the four of us pretty much fill the entire floor space. It is probably about the same as packing the tent with dogs.

I loaned out my Little Buddy tent heater to Tim because we had no place to put it, and we didn't miss it at all.

Photobucket's being a PITA. I'll try to post a few images later. In the meantime, let's see more pictures!

Mostly between Heart Bar and Angelus Oaks. Almost enough to put it in 4hi with a 231. I had to stop twice to de-ice my wiper blades. Caltrans was just beginning to require chains heading up from Angelus Oaks when i went through.

I passed one accident where someone had pulled off in a turnout, slid on the acumullated snow and hit a car that was already stopped.

A big x2 there but I did pull it into 4H, then again MT/Rs and trailer...

I got a little bit sideways in one spot (of course with oncoming traffic just passing me) but was able to correct it with some throttle manipulation. Sure woke me up!

Thanks for the pictures. I may get some posted up, but after I get to real internet.

Love to see some additional pics of Gomer.

I went north on 18, after helping Geoff tear down. Left about noon-ish. Snowing hard on top, and road starting to stick. As soon as I starting down the hill, it stopped snowing (mostly), and by Coyote Flats, there was almost nothing.

Made it to PSR about 5:30pm, after 1/2 hour of backup at junction of 58 and 395. It was a tad warmer at PSR.

David Bricker / SYR - PSR

A little bit off topic, did anyone pick up a white canvas bucket hat after the raffle Saturday night?

PS - I'll get photos up later. I got home Sunday night, partially unpacked and did a bit of laundry, then hopped on a plane to Seattle Monday afternoon. I'm back late Wednesday night then pack up and head off to Overland Expo on Thursday. First world problems.

Back