• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Anybody near Moulton, Alabama willing...

AlabamaBill

NAXJA Forum User
Anybody in my area willing to take the time to show me some of the mods on there rigs and how it is done, and what to do to your vehcile. I am looking for more of the do it yourself type work then professional shop bolt ons. I live in Moulton, Alabama, small town sort of between Southeast of Florence, East of Russelville, West of Decatur, and Northwest of Cullman if that helps any.

Thanks
Bill Carraway
AlabamaBill
Moulton, Alabama

Hey Bill

I do all of my own mods. Just tell me what you are looking to do, and I will help you out.

So many things!, I basically have two projects. One is a long term and currently is a daily driver mode. I say daily driver it rarely gets started more then a few times a month. It is a 1995 sport that I purchased new and plan on fixing it up inside and out to hand down to my son, lol currently 2 years old. I want to keep in daily driver mode but do it up nice. FYI, my daughters 5 years old project car is 1986 Nissian 300 with 69k. I figure cheaper to build them a classic now then buy then a new car come time :).

On the this vehicle I do tow still not often but more then most here would think of. I plan to add a ford 8.8 with disc, do a budget style lift 2-3 inches with some sort of bastard leaf pack and junkyard springs. I want to get this light trail ready but fix up in and out, leather new seats etc over time. I dont expect it to see much trail duty till I hand it over to a 16 year a decaded from now, then I guess I expect to see it wrapped around a tree shortly after :(.

The second is a rig I plan to become my true daily driver/trail rig. I say this because I dont drive much now and can lean very well toward a conservative trail rig. Basically keep it street legal with highway drivablity not an issue. Same time of lift as the first, aka practice makes perfect. I probably go with 8.8 ford again. Might want do a bit of this and that to it after I get feel for what this and that is LOL.

I just want to see what is out there. I need to get a good bumper front and back first I know. I got problem there too, deer collision damage really screwed up are for front bumper mount. It was a direct hit, did little other damage for a deer but telescope outer flange back into the frame. I am not sure if I ll ever get usable, might have to fabs something...oh well maybe more info then needed. After I solve this problem, get the budget lift and tires, I figure I get out to some rides and learn more from there. I am just lost and new so to speak. Love to see some others rigs and what is out there really.

Thanks
Dyslexic Bill
from Alabama

Bill I am pretty close to you, I can help you out on repairing that front bumper, we can make some brackets and use them to tie the new bumper in. As for using the 8.8 there is a lot of talk on doing those swaps. It is just the matter of getting it and installing. Rear axle upgrades is fairly easy. If you see a bumper you like I can build it. You are welcome to come over to my shop, just let me know.

Sounds Like a plan to me! I am going to Fort Gipson, MS to pick up a 86 4 banger for eithr re-sale or parts this weekend so pick a time...during the week? nights? weekend? which is better? Maybe we can figure out a time.

Thanks
Bill Carraway

jmowens said:
Caglezxj,
Is your shop open to the public? Where exactly is it located? Athens, right?

I have a business license, but as we speak my shop is at the house. I would not say open to the public, but anyone from naxja is welcome to come over anytime. I work full time for Toyota Motor Mfg. in Huntsville. I enjoy fabbing and I love 4x4's. I am not trying to get rich, but I am starting slow and trying to build a web based business. If you ever need something fabed, a cage built, or just some simple things done let me know. I have pretty much any tool you need.I will have business cards out in a few days. I live up 251 in athens about 5 miles south of Ardmore.

AlabamaBill said:
Sounds Like a plan to me! I am going to Fort Gipson, MS to pick up a 86 4 banger for eithr re-sale or parts this weekend so pick a time...during the week? nights? weekend? which is better? Maybe we can figure out a time.

Thanks
Bill Carraway

I work 1st 2nd and 3rd shift. Let me know your schedule and we will try to make a day to get together. My buddy is bringing his TJ over tomorrow and I am pulling his front and rear axles, he is going with a 14 bolt in the rear and a 60 up front. If anyone needs a Locked TJ axle with chromo shafts let me know. I need a alternator if anyone has one laying around.

caglezxj said:
I work 1st 2nd and 3rd shift. Let me know your schedule and we will try to make a day to get together.
This sounds like a meet and greet at YOUR HOUSE?? What time? What day? Who's bringing the food???? Who doesn't like talking XJ....:D
Mine is pretty much a dual purpose...gotta get me to work, and be safe for the wife to drive, and Gotta survive some fun on the trails!
FallforAll06007.jpg

FallforAll06014.jpg

ChuckstrPT said:
This sounds like a meet and greet at YOUR HOUSE?? What time? What day? Who's bringing the food???? Who doesn't like talking XJ....:D
Mine is pretty much a dual purpose...gotta get me to work, and be safe for the wife to drive, and Gotta survive some fun on the trails!
FallforAll06007.jpg

FallforAll06014.jpg

Sounds Like it. Hey when we get some decent weather I would not mind it all. However there is no where around here to ride. There is a ride at grayrock Feb 2.

caglezxj said:
However there is no where around here to ride. There is a ride at grayrock Feb 2.
who said anything about riding? I did mention food though....It could be an SEC-Bama meet and greet....Yeh, I caught your post about Grayrock 2/2. What's the cost going to be? That would be a good place to meet if you want to ride

Caglezxj,
You a Limestone County Native? If so what school? I went to Ardmore 81-87, Elkmont 88-89, and Clements 90-92, so I know lots of people (and have lots of family) in Limestone county...

Just curious... Wife and I almost bought a house just off of 251, but decided it was too far from work... (I do daily drive my xj!!)

caglezxj said:
Have you heard anything about the cullman orv park?

last thing i heard was they were buying some land on hwy 69 near the interstate, then when they went to survey it...they realized that it had been a disposal site for tires for the past like 40 years....no kidding, the airiel photos showed acres and acres of mounds of tires (that explains the horrible masquito problem in cullman...ha).....but since then they've found another like 350 acres farther down hwy 69 towards the sipsy river.....thats the last i've heard, but i've been tryin to go to all the meetings at the courthouse....

jmowens said:
Caglezxj,
You a Limestone County Native? If so what school? I went to Ardmore 81-87, Elkmont 88-89, and Clements 90-92, so I know lots of people (and have lots of family) in Limestone county...

Just curious... Wife and I almost bought a house just off of 251, but decided it was too far from work... (I do daily drive my xj!!)

I am from birmingham. I live up 251 5 min from ardmore. Do you know Ezra Barnett. He is my neighbor. He went to ardmore. I have lived here for about 4 yrs now.

that would be nice to have near the sipsy some creeks and other crap to play around in...

caglezxj said:
I am from birmingham. I live up 251 5 min from ardmore. Do you know Ezra Barnett. He is my neighbor. He went to ardmore. I have lived here for about 4 yrs now.

Actually, I do know the name... he wasn't in my class, I don't think... prolly younger...

He will prolly know my dad. He used to be the Ag Teacher at Ardmore back in the 80's -- he's the principal there now.

jmowens said:
Actually, I do know the name... he wasn't in my class, I don't think... prolly younger...

He will prolly know my dad. He used to be the Ag Teacher at Ardmore back in the 80's -- he's the principal there now.

I think he is around 30, he farms and works for bellsouth, I am sure he knows your dad.

Back