• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dana 30 axels

tweakado

NAXJA Forum User
okay guys went to junk yards and found a non disco with every thing there. My question is i have a vac disconnect can i switch out the axels. Do the wheel bearings u-joints brakes and add a cable disconnect with out much trouble. Any advice would help me out. The reason for going this way is because i cannot locate the tag in front so i do not know what i am working with in the way of gearing.

Jess said:
count the teeth on the ring gear
and then divide that by the number of pinion teeth to get the gear ratio.

As far as disco vs non-disco, you most certainly can use the non-disco. Just remove the vacuum lines that run from your transfer case to the axle. I'm not sure what the guys that do this do to the transfer case end though - I imagine they just cut the lines at the transfer case.

My rig runs a 215/70R15 and will see the dirt roads maybe a little snow and the sand from pismo. Not rock crawling or mountain jumping.Freeway for sure. Dont care about malls or being impressive just would like to go up to the mountains find a fire road with a nice spot park it break out the weapons and the Q and have a great afternoon. Or the fishing pole and get a line wet.Yeah i was wondering about the switch on the transfer case myself maybe take it out and plug it dont know.

I simply cut the line that went to the t-case switch and plugged it so I didn't have a vacuum leak.
I plugged the remaining lines at the t-case ust so water didn't get in there and possibly contaminate it.
Not a dificult swap, everything bolts up.

Okay got that. Now the axels can i pull the axels from a non disco and just put them in the disco with whatever clips that hold them in. Also do i need to look for a manual shift or can i use the auto trans ones as well.

tweakado said:
Okay got that. Now the axels can i pull the axels from a non disco and just put them in the disco with whatever clips that hold them in. Also do i need to look for a manual shift or can i use the auto trans ones as well.
Yes - any XJ or TJ Dana30 axle shaft assemblies will work. Obviously its better to get the ones with larger (297x) u-joints. You will need new seals though... and someone correct me if I'm wrong but I believe the inner seal (near the diff) is different for the non-disco housing. There are no c-clips. The shafts are held in place by the three hub bolts.

okay i get it now. Are the axel shafts the same outside diamiter.Or would i need something speacil in the way of seals and bearings. This is the first time i have messed with a front differential. Wow this stuff is an engineering marval. How about the shifter fork for the disco to fit on the new shafts. just a slide on affair or what. Thanks for the help

go here
http://madxj.com/MADXJ/technical/technicalfiles/ARD30shafts297andSeals/D30shafts297andSeals.htm

after you understand how it's all put together you won't have nearly as many questions.
There may be a c-clip on the passenger side inner shaft for your disco axle. When you go to solid shafts you won't need it.
As for the shift fork and vac motor, if you swap to solid axleshafts you can just put a plate over that hole, then give your working vac motor and fork to a jeeper that needs it.

Thanks Manche now that made sense. I am going lookin for good shafts at the junkyard. Or maybe i should buy a set but dont know where to start lookin any input. I am kinda afraid about the junkyard thing because i dont know what kind of condition they are in and could be pullin from all kinds of trucks before i get a good set. Any input would help thanks again

Back