• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

looking for a bike

Either or really. I've never owened a bike and really really really want one lol I just don't know where to start as far as size I don't want something to under powered for my size. But I don't want to kill myself either

This should give you some good info. I was gonna suggest the Kawasaki Ninja 250 for you or a smaller of the Honda CBR series, which are towards the top of the list. Im more into sport bikes myself but another that had crossed my mind was the Vstar which would be a road bike. At 230lbs the 250cc CBR would have plenty of power. It wont be mind numbing fast but you are a beginner so Id start here. Then maybe you can move up to a Yamaha R1 or CBR 600rr my personal favorites.

i'd look for a bandit 600 or a similair type bike, you need something big enough but easy to handle. i'm the same size as you and have been riding and racing road bikes for years. thats along way on a ninja 250, you'll look and feel like a shaved ape on that thing.
look for something with bags or a rear box on it, it'll make life much easier for interstate commuting.

To go back and forth to cali on anyone know of any leads?
I'm a first time rider and six foot three 230 pounds if that affects what I can ride

IMHO, I'd start with an underpowered, sit up straight kind of bike for learning. Rather than the low handlebar crotch rocket models.

Plan now on reselling after your first year or two, then you will know better what you like and don;t like about motorcycles.

Here is a Honda Rebel on craigslist.
Simple machine, maintenance cost lower for Honda's versus Harleys and Yamaha's

http://phoenix.craigslist.org/nph/mcy/2166637321.html

IMHO, I'd start with an underpowered, sit up straight kind of bike for learning. Rather than the low handlebar crotch rocket models.

Plan now on reselling after your first year or two, then you will know better what you like and don;t like about motorcycles.

Here is a Honda Rebel on craigslist.
Simple machine, maintenance cost lower for Honda's versus Harleys and Yamaha's

http://phoenix.craigslist.org/nph/mcy/2166637321.html

I would agree, buy a bike you plan to sell in a few years. Don't start out looking for your dream bike or a long term bike. Get something to learn on and you'll be having so much fun being on 2 wheels you wont care what size motor it has.

Also, plan to take the Riding class. Don't forget the gear is not cheap either set aside a good chunk of money for a quality helmet and other basics.

Ok so what I've seen from research and you guys is deffinatly don't get a 600 first which I'm fine with cuz I don't wanna die young lol. Now I would like something that would last me so if I get a croch rocket would it be ok/ safe to get a 500 instead of the 250? If not would it be better to get a cruiser instead of a 250? I don't really have a problem with riding a 250 I just worry that ill out grow it way to fast being that I've been behind the wheel of most every type of vehicle there is from sports cars to big rigs for the military also speed boats to pontoon boats so I have a pretty large knowledge base on how to control a vehicle and have a lot of respect for something with an engine. Also would like to note that I've been driving since I was 11 and am now 21 and tend to basically master a vehicle in about a week or two. Hence why I'm worried about a 250 not being enough, then again though I've never been on two wheels lol

If your going the crotch rocket route id say start at the 250 and that would be the bike to sell after a year or two. I think it will still be plenty of power for a beginner.

To go back and forth to cali on anyone know of any leads?
I'm a first time rider and six foot three 230 pounds if that affects what I can ride

Go NO smaller than a 750 it your going back and forth...Are you running the I-10 FWY, cause the hills are going to kill a smaller bike..Plus the HEAT in the desert tears them up fast..My last bike was a Goldwing out here in Palm Springs CA, didn't like the heat that much..

If your going the crotch rocket route id say start at the 250 and that would be the bike to sell after a year or two. I think it will still be plenty of power for a beginner.

no way.. the 250 is a dog on the freeway. It is about as fast as a toyota camry! everyone I have know that satrted with a 250 sold it within weeks to move up and you will loose money unless you get a deal on a used one

Sounds like you are pretty open on what you want. I was there once.

I went to a dealer that sold new and used bikes and talked to a good salesman. I thought I wanted an R6. He asked why, I told him "i'm not really interested in the speed, but that's the best looking bike in the place". He spent the next hour and a half having me sit on everything from a full dressed goldwing to a single seat ducati that was built to race. explaining in detail the differences, and what i'll notice while riding.

After talking with that guy I had a whole new perspective on what I wanted, what was practical and what I could buy and not outgrow. He had me sold on a suzuki sv650 w/ the sport bike looking fairing. it was a day or two later my friend got hit on his bike and hurt pretty bad. Everyone I knew with bikes sold them and I never bought that bike.

Back