• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Slicker than

NAXJA Forum User
eel snot!

If it keeps raining up there as much as it looks like it's going to for the next 10 days or so...we may have a rerun of 2013!

It was SLICK that year!

The weather channel says 50% chance of precipitation for the first four days of July. Showers and thunderstorms.

I live fairly close to Black Mtn. and I can tell you that the ground is pretty dry around here. I went for a hike on the ridge yesterday and all of the usual mud holes and streams were dry. We've had a bunch of spotty thunderstorms, but not enough rain to soften the ground. It would take a lot of rain to make things sloppy.

Cool.

I hope the predicted temps stay as they are...MUCH cooler than down here!

It's been years since I visited Florida. Would love to hang out in Miami soon. I love the weather there!

Bo! I hate Florida! God's Waiting room is all it is! :gag:

Just an FYI the weather app is now calling for Rain every day next week...... :nosmile:

Oh well. Looks like I may take it easy this year. Jim is right, as Harlan does dry out pretty fast.

Just an FYI the weather app is now calling for Rain every day next week...... :nosmile:

Scattered thunderstorms - 40 to 60% for the first through the fourth, temps in the 80's.

We've been having scattered thunderstorms for a while now and the ground is still hard as a rock. We never seem to get as much rain as they call for.

Scattered thunderstorms - 40 to 60% for the first through the fourth, temps in the 80's.

We've been having scattered thunderstorms for a while now and the ground is still hard as a rock. We never seem to get as much rain as they call for.

Good to know Joe! Keep us posted please! :cheers:

Between last night and today things got wet. My town and Harlan both got 1.1 inches of rain. They were short, heavy rains. The kind that saturate the top layer of soil then run off into the river and the creeks. What I'm getting at is that the ground is most likely still fairly dry a few inches down and still capable of absorbing much more rain.

I, for one, am glad to see the rain come. The temperatures have dropped considerably. It's a cool 65 degrees outside my door right now and I'm enjoying it.

I'll keep everyone updated as the week goes on.

Joe

Between last night and today things got wet. My town and Harlan both got 1.1 inches of rain. They were short, heavy rains. The kind that saturate the top layer of soil then run off into the river and the creeks. What I'm getting at is that the ground is most likely still fairly dry a few inches down and still capable of absorbing much more rain.

I, for one, am glad to see the rain come. The temperatures have dropped considerably. It's a cool 65 degrees outside my door right now and I'm enjoying it.

I'll keep everyone updated as the week goes on.

Joe

Sweet! I'll be up there Tuesday afternoon. Cannot wait!

It is wet here but not as bad as 2013. Unless it rains a lot I can't see it being any worse than that year.

Part of the main trails are slick and some of the rock is as well. But very little run off...2 years ago if memory serves there was a good bit of water running down the mountain all week.

Today (Sunday) was beautiful. 52* this morning. Clear and cool breeze all day.

Sweet! I'll be up there Tuesday afternoon. Cannot wait!

Awesome! I was really looking forward to coming but I couldn't get the time off pre-approved so I never registered or anything. I recently found out that my axle u-joints are going bad and I'll be doing good to have those fixed by Saturday anyway. I can go to Black Mountain any time but I really wanted to check out everyone's rigs. Maybe next year.

BTW everyone,
I heard that copperheads are bad this year so keep your eyes peeled and watch your kids and dogs. They blend in really well and can be aggressive. Here's one I found on my hiking trail two years ago.

1374064_518185871600130_2097899149_n.jpg

1011786_518185868266797_801422032_n.jpg

63642_518185898266794_28690379_n.jpg

It's wet. Quite wet!

Back