• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

.45 ACP ammo cheap, where do you buy from

motorcityxj

NAXJA Forum User
I recently got a springfield amory xd .45 acp and wondering where the online ammo deals are and what any of the resident gun gurus recomend for target practice ammo to get some decent amount of rounds under my belt. This is not match grade competition stuff i am looking for, but basically good value cheap to the point its still good consitent performance. Practice round cheap. Ill buy 500-1000 round if i have to in order to get them cheap per unit price, because i will eventually go through it. So whats the recomendation guys ?:patriot:

motorcityxj said:
I recently got a springfield amory xd .45 acp and wondering where the online ammo deals are and what any of the resident gun gurus recomend for target practice ammo to get some decent amount of rounds under my belt. This is not match grade competition stuff i am looking for, but basically good value cheap to the point its still good consitent performance. Practice round cheap. Ill buy 500-1000 round if i have to in order to get them cheap per unit price, because i will eventually go through it. So whats the recomendation guys ?:patriot:

Typically, I get gun show reloads in bulk. Jams and misfires are about on a par with box ammo, but the cost is far less. It also tends to come in a nifty ammo can that's a whole lot more reusable than a Winchester white cardboard box ;)

casm said:
Typically, I get gun show reloads in bulk. Jams and misfires are about on a par with box ammo, but the cost is far less. It also tends to come in a nifty ammo can that's a whole lot more reusable than a Winchester white cardboard box ;)

i dont have the literature in front of me CASM, something in the springfield book was saying i shouldnt use reloads. I couldnt think of any reason it would be any more detrimental than any other gun which its ok to use reloads.. I dunno this is my first hand gun, and first new gun, all my other stuff is rifles and shot guns and bought at gun shows used.

Is that standard crap all the manufacturers say about reloads CASM ?

motorcityxj said:
i dont have the literature in front of me CASM, something in the springfield book was saying i shouldnt use reloads. I couldnt think of any reason it would be any more detrimental than any other gun which its ok to use reloads.. I dunno this is my first hand gun, and first new gun, all my other stuff is rifles and shot guns and bought at gun shows used.

My experience with reloads boils down to one thing: the quality of the reloads themselves. Dented cartridges, out-of-spec powder weights or bullets, and a few other things will significantly affect your gun's performance.

Having said that: you're dead right in that there's no reason that a properly-done reloaded round should perform any differently than a box round. Chances are the book was playing owner's manual with you - only use the recommended lubricants, fluids, plugs, and always take it to an authorised service centre. You get the idea.

If this is a new-out-of-the-box pistol, I would recommend breaking it (or any other firearm) in on box ammo for consistency's sake. While it is entirely possible for box ammo to vary in quality, the chances of it happening are considerably less than with most reloads. But for God's sake, don't use Wolf ammo.

Is that standard crap all the manufacturers say about reloads CASM ?

Pretty much. I run reloads in my Browning High-Power, Colt 1911, and .223 fixed-magazine rifle. They work fine, but what I've found is that box ammo tends to be made to tighter specs. Not that you necessarily won't have problems with box ammo - just that in my experience it tends to happen on a lesser basis than with reloads.

I get my bulk at cheaper than dirt and/or cabelas.

Congrats!!!

I have a XD40 Bi-color stainless and black. Plus I have a 9mm conversion barrel just for plinking around.

I keep my eyes on Dicks sporting goods and walmart. I am not sure if you have a Dicks nearby but sometimes you can get really good deals plus you can earn points for your purchases there which in time they send you a gift card. Usually there is no limit there so I will buy a couple of cases and stock up.

I get my initial 2,000 rounds of .45 from whoever has the best price on Federal 230gr FMJ ball and reload from there. If you are going to shoot alot get a progressive reloader, one stroke on bullet. They will pay for themselves in about 2,000 rounds. Use quality components, speer makes good bullets and sells the pistol calibers in 500 bullet boxes, get primers and powder at gun shows to avoid the $15 hazmat charge if you buy it online and when you buy it get big cans of powder and 1,000rd lots of primers, just make sure you store the primers in an airtight dry container for storage.

Back