• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1st Annual NWC Scratch & Dent

IXNAYXJ

NAXJA Forum User
What a great event! Despite a smaller than anticipated turnout and mediocre weather, we had an absolute blast! Big thanks to Michael for putting this all together, and paying for it out of his own pockets. I know our entry fees didn't cover the whole cost, so thanks again! Maybe we could use up some of our surplus chapter money reimbursing him...?

Anyway, the RTI ramp was a really cool portion, something I've never done before. Along with some great pictures and some impressive numbers, it was a great catalyst for conversation about different set-ups. So, without further ado, here are the scores listed in no particular order. Highest numbers in red, lowest in purple, and the scores themselves are listed in order of: Front Driver, Front Passenger, and Reverse Driver.

MetalTrasher: 666-----721-----NA

2xtreme: 706-----711-----898

IXNAYXJ: 948-----884-----967

CanMan: 874-----785-----829

RubiKid95: 800-----785-----800

pSYChedXJ: 849-----824-----869

adamusmc: 1125-----928-----967

Slacker87XJ: 765-----765-----864

XJourney: 953-----972-----902

Candlepwr: We couldn't see the ramp; it was too bright. Well, not really: 824-----829-----834

Ack's ZJ: 791-----NA-----924

In addition to our group, we had a few inquisitive SUV owners drive by...and get conned into trying the ramp. Coolest of the bunch was the owner of a gold colored Mercedes ML500. I warned him he was about to hit his front air-dam/valance thing on the ramp and he said, "Ah, whatever. How much higher can I go?" Awesome!

Xterra 3": 565

L-R Disco II: 535

Hummer H2: 465

MBZ ML500: 261

Anyway, I'll get my pictures posted up tomorrow, and I know there are a bunch of shots the group got, so post up!

-----Matt-----

I had fun, good times! I think I need some longer springs and longer shocks and running my 33s would help for the RTI ramp. Very cool though.

BTW the 6 cylinder made it home pulling the 3/4 truck without any problems.

Also, the popping noise that we all heard after I got off the ramp is my suspsension....so I'll have to go and look for any loose bolts. Luckily its not the rearend.

dang I can't believe I got beat on the RTI ramp :D Rigged I tell you, your math must be wrong ;)

I had a good time. Thanks everyone.

Just finished getting my pics uploaded.....enjoy!

CIMG1709.JPG

CIMG1696.JPG

CIMG1721.JPG

Just call him "Champ of the Ramp"
CIMG1742.JPG

All 51 pics located here.

Michael, to piggy-back on what Matt said, can't thank you enough for putting this together. The turn-out could have been better, but we had a blast both on the ramp and just spending time with everybody.

I still can't believe Matt made his rig pretty for the show :looser: .

- Jay

Wooo HOOOO I made the top of the RTI list..... Oh but with the worst XJ score... :looney:

Great event. Thanks to Michael for the inspiration and motivation. Thanks to all who showed ( or at least meant to) great to meet new and old friends. :party:

I'll post up pics tomorrow.

And my pics:

IMG_2900.jpg

And there was some damage on the ramp:
Candlepower's inner fender pulled out:
IMG_2901.jpg

And here's a flare and vacuum can.
IMG_2902.jpg

Hans flexes both XJ and large Amish bicep:
IMG_2904.jpg

The line up:
IMG_2910.jpg

Ian lacks the large Amish biceps...
IMG_2918.jpg

Michael sizes up the rigs;
In this case the KING of the RAMP : Adam!

IMG_2923.jpg

And the non XJs:
ML500
IMG_2927.jpg

Nissan Xterra
IMG_2930.jpg

and the H2
IMG_2932.jpg

I didn't get a pic of the Discovery.

Looks like you guys had fun. Wish I could have been there, I was busy pulling logs up a hill with my Jeep.

Thank you Michael for the ramp! Thats cool to see my jeep with a score like that after the work ive done to it! Thanks Jay for the tow hooks! Matt, looks like your tires low!

pSYChedXJ said:
Just finished getting my pics uploaded.....enjoy!

CIMG1709.JPG

CIMG1696.JPG

CIMG1721.JPG

Just call him "Champ of the Ramp"
CIMG1742.JPG

All 51 pics located here.

Michael, to piggy-back on what Matt said, can't thank you enough for putting this together. The turn-out could have been better, but we had a blast both on the ramp and just spending time with everybody.

I still can't believe Matt made his rig pretty for the show :looser: .

- Jay

Ahhhh, Champ of the Ramp, I like that. :) :worship: Great pictures man!!! Thanks for taking them.

It's ok guys, now you know how to build your rigs... Homemade long arms and a dana turdy 5!! :)

But yeah, those were 3 year old rough country 4.5" coils w/ spacers, and brand new RE heavy duty 4.5" leaves with 1.5" shackles. Nothin special, cept maybe the homemade y-arm setup.

Had a great time guys, sorry I bolted, I thought they were walkin off on me cuz i wouldn't leave right away, turned out there were just going to the car :banghead:

Adam

adamusmc2002 said:
Ahhhh, Champ of the Ramp, I like that. :) :worship: Great pictures man!!! Thanks for taking them.

It's ok guys, now you know how to build your rigs... Homemade long arms and a dana turdy 5!! :)

But yeah, those were 3 year old rough country 4.5" coils w/ spacers, and brand new RE heavy duty 4.5" leaves with 1.5" shackles. Nothin special, cept maybe the homemade y-arm setup.

Had a great time guys, sorry I bolted, I thought they were walkin off on me cuz i wouldn't leave right away, turned out there were just going to the car :banghead:

Adam

what size tires you running?

I believe that is indeed a tazer, calculator, GPS, sub space communication device and toothpick. Much better than a pocket knife. :roll:

XJourney said:
dang I can't believe I got beat on the RTI ramp :D

To be honest Han's, Adam's truck was the only one that beat you before people (at least Matt;)) started airing down tires to get better scores:D

I think that Han's deserves Champ of the Ramp credit, and Adam deserves King of the Ramp credit :D Both did exceptionally for very different rig's!!

Either way it was a bunch of fun and actually very educating:
1. Flex on one end or the other doesn't score well, you really need flex on both ends to score high points.
2. You usually get better scores in the direction where your stiffer suspension is at the top of the ramp.
3. There were some rig's with VERY different scores on one side or the other, others were very similar side to side. As a side note the Disco was exactly the same front or rear (very consistent flex front or back).
4. You can do lot's of damage on the ramp. I think probably more than 1/2 of the rig's did some damage (lots of chunked tires, inner fender lining, vacume canister, rear hatch not fitting after ramp, probably more I can't remember.
5. Comparing our scores from the BBQ to others who have done it on another ramp will not make any sense, there is ton's of issues with accuracy between ramps, position of ramp, where you measure from, interpretation of measurements, actuall wheel base of vehicle, etc, etc, etc.

As a side note, Putting a almost 16' tall ramp in the verticle direction on my trailer does not make it easy to drive under traffic lights!!!! WOW, it was WAY TOO close (I actually had to drive between the light hangind on wires!! But I didn't take anything out but a few tree limbs luckily:yelclap:

Thanks guys for showing up, the weather was really great and it worked out well. I got a few ideas for next year as well ;)
Michael

Back