• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

hydro steering help

kerndogg

NAXJA Forum User
I just added a ram to my steering. stock box tapped and stock pump. I took it for a quick test drive without the ram and eveything worked like normal. Then i added a 1.75 bore psc ram to it and lost all power steering. I pulled the fitting out of the pump and the check valve was stuck down. I got it to pop lose and i tried my best to flush the system with clean fluid. Now it works intermittently, i have to really crank the wheel and it will more with power and then it sticks and you really have to crank on it again. Got any suggestions? I am trying to get it ready for claytom this weekend and i am running out of time. BTW i also unhooked the ram from the steering so it is just cycling without a load on it. It seems to work fine on jackstands but them struggles when it sits on the ground. I don't know what is the culprit, pump, gear or ram. Thanks for your help.

Sounds like bad pump. I went through the same thing when I put my Hydro-assist on a couple weeks ago! Worked ok before the assist, with the new box and ram it didn't do ANYTHING!!

New (used, but new to me) pump, drilled the fitting out for a higher flow, and bolted it up, and great steering!! Took about 20 minutes once I get the new pump!!

Well i just took the ram off of the system again and it seems to steer fine now. I don't really know what the problem is. I bought another pump and have yet to put it on and i never drilled out the fitting on this one for higher flow...maybe it isn't putting out enough to work the ram and the gear? Could it just be air?

did you open the PS resivour cap and look at the fluid while it was running? If it starts to foam you have air in the line.

Did you cycle the steering back and forth a bunch while it was on jackstands? It will run the flid through and work the air out of the system. It can take a while though.

Also what fluid are you using? I'd go with something good like Valvoine Synthetic or that Royal Purple stuff. It took forever to get the air out of my hydro assit when I had regular power steering fluid.

i started with val synthetic yesterday and after spilling $20 worth yesterday i am usng the stp regular today. Maybe i should go back to that. I also would like to add a cooler and filter..

You have to bleed it good, one way is to put the front on jackstands and cycle the steering lock to lock a bunch of times until you don't see and foaming in the resevoir.....before starting the engine.

Was the pump whining?

I bleed the air out of mine without one end of the ram hooked up for the first couple of minutes, made it much easier!! After most of the air was out, I bolted it all up, and then keep doing it for a few more minutes!

RalphXJ said:
I bleed the air out of mine without one end of the ram hooked up for the first couple of minutes, made it much easier!! After most of the air was out, I bolted it all up, and then keep doing it for a few more minutes!

Does the ram go the right direction?

Do you have pictures of the ram mount, is it binding when it extends and contracts?

Any pics of where you drilled and tapped you steering box? You did take it apart before drilling?

What size hoses and and fittings did you use everywhere.
1/4NPT to AN6 at the box and 3/8 to AN 6 at the ram are most common with a 3/8in hose with an6 on each end.

My first idea would be air in the lines but what you described should have bled the air out as long as you added fluid.

You quoted me, but I"m guessing your asking the orginal poster?

I dont remeber the size i drilled the pump out too, I was on the phone with Matt from West Texas when I was going it, and just followed his directions. Yes I pulled the peice before drilling it.

My whole system came from West Texas, works great!! I was just sharing how I did mine.

RalphXJ said:
You quoted me, but I"m guessing your asking the orginal poster?

I dont remeber the size i drilled the pump out too, I was on the phone with Matt from West Texas when I was going it, and just followed his directions. Yes I pulled the peice before drilling it.

My whole system came from West Texas, works great!! I was just sharing how I did mine.

My bad, I didnt scroll all the way back to the top I though it was your thread.

kerndogg those questions are for you, in addition you need to bleed the system as RalphXj has described.

ashmanjeepxj said:
My bad, I didnt scroll all the way back to the top I though it was your thread.

kerndogg those questions are for you, in addition you need to bleed the system as RalphXj has described.

I got the air out of it and ran it at clayton this weekend with no problems. The only down side is it is still a little slow at idle but the power is always there. Thanks for all the help

kerndogg said:
I got the air out of it and ran it at clayton this weekend with no problems. The only down side is it is still a little slow at idle but the power is always there. Thanks for all the help

My XJ is that way, a little slow at idle if I need to really crank it fast. I put a 4.5" pulley on the buggy and it's fine at idle, so I'm going to put a 4.5" on the XJ and it should be fine.

There's a restrictor in the main fitting of the pump. It's really just a small hole through the fitting that all the fluid must pass. Drill it out and you get more flow. Mine is over-sized, but not much, 5/32" IIRC.

P1010615.jpg

Goatman said:
My XJ is that way, a little slow at idle if I need to really crank it fast. I put a 4.5" pulley on the buggy and it's fine at idle, so I'm going to put a 4.5" on the XJ and it should be fine.

I agree, I need to get a smaller pump for my chevy pump on my full hydro, at idle its not engought RPM to have enoguh power.

jstlink said:
5/32" iirc.what does the iirc mean?if 5/32" is too big,what would be a more appropriate size?thanx again.

IIRC......if I remember correctly.

Look up the website of West Texas Offroad, the makers of the Redneck Ram. There is a tech article on their website that describes how to modify the PS pump for more flow and pressure.

Goatman said:
IIRC......if I remember correctly.

Look up the website of West Texas Offroad, the makers of the Redneck Ram. There is a tech article on their website that describes how to modify the PS pump for more flow and pressure.

West Texas site has been down for serveral days, not sure whats up. I have the tech writeup printed at home, I will double check tonight if I remeber.

Back