• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Mechanical difference between part time and full time

Mopar500

NAXJA Forum User
I know full time can be used on dry roads. And, that turning on dry pavement with part time binds up the drivetrain. But, what is the mechanical difference between the two?
Which would be better in deep snow?

The difference is that full time has a differential in the t-case that allows the front driveshaft to operate at a different speed than the rear DS or not at all, essentually sending power to one of your four wheels in very slick conditions.
For deep snow, part time is the one to use.

Mopar500 said:
I know full time can be used on dry roads. And, that turning on dry pavement with part time binds up the drivetrain. But, what is the mechanical difference between the two?
Which would be better in deep snow?

The transfer case acts a differential between the front & rear driveshafts. "Locked" TC ==> part time FWD. "Open" or "Limited Slip" TC ==> full time FWD.
"Part time" is better in snow because it at least guarantees that power gets to each axle.

ETA: too slow

The best thing about fulltime is that you can leave it in fulltime when the roads are partially snow or ice covered (patches of snow/ice). Its a good compromise between part time and 2WD

There is not a differential in the T-case. It has a viscouse coupling that allows slippage between the front and rear driveshafts while in AWD.

Dzl DV8 said:
Er, uh 119, 129 and 229 have the viscous coupling, 242 has an open differential in F/T 4x4 and a locked differential in P/T 4x4.

If I missed something, flame on...
you are completely correct, the 242 case has a mechanical differential.
the 249 used in grands also has a coupling.

there is a reason for each number in the np designation.
I don't know the "code"
you can find it somewhere on here.

Back