• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New TPS-now hard time starting

my65289stang

NAXJA Forum User
I put a new TPS on my 96 4.0 this weekend and now the first start of the day is a little bit of a struggle. It will start and begin to run for about a second and then just die on its own. It did this three times this morning before it started and kept running. Any thoughts????

my65289stang said:
I put a new TPS on my 96 4.0 this weekend and now the first start of the day is a little bit of a struggle. It will start and begin to run for about a second and then just die on its own. It did this three times this morning before it started and kept running. Any thoughts????
Why did you replace it?

I was having hesitation under acceleration and read that this or the CPS could be a possible cause of this. I know that the previous owner had not replaced it so I figured for $30 I would put a new one on and if if worked, great, but if not then I wouldn't have to worry about it in the future.

One thing I overlooked when messing with my Mustang's TPS sensor was the throttle body stop. It had wiggled a little loose while I was working near it, and it was letting the TB close too far.

my65289stang said:
I was having hesitation under acceleration and read that this or the CPS could be a possible cause of this. I know that the previous owner had not replaced it so I figured for $30 I would put a new one on and if if worked, great, but if not then I wouldn't have to worry about it in the future.
Pull the battery cable for 30 minuets so your ECU will reset to the new TPS.
Did it cure the other problem?

Back