• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

breaking u joints?

AKswampheep

NAXJA Forum User
OK, heres the thing, i was messing around awhile back in 4 low and i somehow busted the back driveshaft u joint, so i put a new u joint in it and it comes to be that the little side pin on the yoke broke off, so i replaced the yoke, put a new u joint in, put the driveshaft in and i went for a drive, when taking off from a dead stop it it vibrates, feels like slow axle hop except thats not what it is, also, while the back driveshaft was out, i absolutely had to drive, since school and all, so i drove it in 4wd and yes i know t-case fluid leaks out without the driveshaft in but i only drove it for 3-4 days, on the 4th day i went to take off hard and it sounded like i snapped the t-case chain? can anyone help me with the d-shaft problem and tell the possibility of the chain breaking? BTW rear wheel drive still works

4 days is an awful long time without a plug or adding more fliud to it.... do you have 4wheel drive capability?

AKswampheep said:
OK, heres the thing, i was messing around awhile back in 4 low and i somehow busted the back driveshaft u joint, so i put a new u joint in it and it comes to be that the little side pin on the yoke broke off, so i replaced the yoke, put a new u joint in, put the driveshaft in and i went for a drive, when taking off from a dead stop it it vibrates, feels like slow axle hop except thats not what it is, also, while the back driveshaft was out, i absolutely had to drive, since school and all, so i drove it in 4wd and yes i know t-case fluid leaks out without the driveshaft in but i only drove it for 3-4 days, on the 4th day i went to take off hard and it sounded like i snapped the t-case chain? can anyone help me with the d-shaft problem and tell the possibility of the chain breaking? BTW rear wheel drive still works
When you busted the rear ujoint did the shaft fall out and slam against something when spinning? If so get the shaft inspected for dents/damage and get it balanced.

well the thing is is that when i was taking off in rear wheel drive, it felt like it would.. well slam or knock a few times and then it would pretty much smooth out besides some vibes, but the slamming part feels like the driveshaft might be binding? i had a stock d-shaft the first time with 5.5 inches of lift and it hardly had vibes, btw its a 90 with the 242 tcase, i have no clue why its doing this, anyones suggestions are welcome

AKswampheep said:
well the thing is is that when i was taking off in rear wheel drive, it felt like it would.. well slam or knock a few times and then it would pretty much smooth out besides some vibes, but the slamming part feels like the driveshaft might be binding? i had a stock d-shaft the first time with 5.5 inches of lift and it hardly had vibes, btw its a 90 with the 242 tcase, i have no clue why its doing this, anyones suggestions are welcome
Did you drive it at all with the rear yoke off?

no i had to rear yoke on at all times, i dont know really how to explain the back driveshaft, the way it like jumps or lunges when you try to take off, but also what is the possibility that i broke the tcase chain? im hoping thats what it was, but is there any chance it could be and gears in it or splined parts or anything?

check your front u-joints one at either tire and 3 on the front ds. what is your current condition front or rear wheel drive? what rear axle do you have? are you sure the rear u-joint is installed/seated correctly?
and for god sake fill up the t-case and plug the rear output if your going to be driving it at all.hasta

Back