• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

I just need a couple more inches.....on the Jeep!

99greenjeeper

NAXJA Forum User
I've been visiting NAXJA.ORG for awhile now but this is my first post. I was hoping to get some suggestions from you guys. I've got a 99 Classic with 74K and the RE BB. I've had fun on the trails with this setup but know that I'd have more if I just had a bit more lift. I've got around $400 in mind and would love some suggestions on which parts to get where in order to achieve this.
Keep in mind that I'd love to keep a comfortable road ride and I do have a hint of "the vibes" at 55-60mph but don't think I can get a SYE and dirveshaft yet. Any help is much appreciated.
thanks,
dave

99 Classic
RE BB
30 x 9.5 Toyo Open Countrys on Stock 5 stars
Chrysler 8.25 rear
Genuine Steel Brush Guard
Homemade K&N intake
Poweraid Throttle Body Spacer
2.5 Magnaflow exhaust

if you have some vibes now, they will increase with more lift, shims will help and may cure the prob, as will a tran. drop(but then you lose clearance instead of gaining). so i would recomend deciding what you want to accomplish, in terms of durability, capability, drivability and heightability then save the cash and buy all the parts tires at once...
since you already have the bb and 30's it should wheel pretty decent, and you could always break out the sawzall to fit some bigger meats...

99greenjeeper said:
Keep in mind that I'd love to keep a comfortable road ride and I do have a hint of "the vibes" at 55-60mph but don't think I can get a SYE and dirveshaft yet. Any help is much appreciated.
Well, if you have some vibes now you can try playing with shims and tcase drop if you didn't yet, but I"m willing to bet $ that if you add you will need an SYE.

In any case, are you planning on throwing larger tires underneath right now? If not, then maybe work on articulation. You could start working towards getting parts that allow you to lift higher: buy adjustable UCA's and LCA's. Look into adjustable trackbars. See whether your brake lines are long enough (rear might not be: you can replace it with a YJ line). Also I highly recommend getting an SYE now and then lift later.

Also I know this wasn't part of the question, but depending on what trails you run, some side protection can prove it's weight in gold: it's easy to destroy rocker panels and it's a major PITA to get them fixed.

You have admitted you have a problem, and that's the first step to getting help. You've got the money budgeted. Check out the Vendor's Forum, maybe even post a request in there, and find a vendor who'll get you set up with an SYE and driveshaft.

With a newer Jeep like that, you should have no problem doing a Hack'n'tap SYE.

Driveline vibrations are a known issue for you, why not fix it now and be done with it? Don't forget to shim your rear axle to get the angles right.

inchitus strikes again

Thanks for the feedback everyone. After shopping around a bit and talking to some people I think I'm going with the RE 3.5" super flex kit with the full length AAL. It sounds like it is a good idea to lift first and then measure and buy a new driveshaft and SYE kit. Since this isn't my daily driver I can deal with it being out of commision for a little bit. Since I already have the extended brake line and AAL bolts, the dealer will subtitute some shims with the kit. Does anyone know which RE shims I should get?

Back