• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Part-Time on Dry Pavement!

Ocelot

NAXJA Forum User
My sister recently used part-time mode on dry pavement when I lent her the cherokee, because she thought it meant: only engages part-of-the-time (as necessary). She thought it would be cool to drive around in the "All Wheel Drive" mode. I guess she is colour-blind, but she now fully understands how an NP242 works.

Luckly, nothing seems screwed up, but I'm wondering what I should get checked out. What components are most likely to gernade if part-time is engaged on pavement? How can I tell if the T-Case is ok?

Thanks in advance

Pull a little oil out of there and take a close look and smell. Sould be brite red, if it´s yellow (straw color) or brown, time for a change. Heat is one worry, oils break down. Probably didn´t do any permanent damge, just some accelerated wear of drivetrain parts and tires.
Knew a guy that drove his NP231 for almost 4 months ( at 80-100 MPH speeds) in part time, mostly on dry streets, before he noticed something wasn´t right. Brand new XJ. Guess he never bothered, to read the owners manual.
Probably would still be driving it, if the rattleing from the transfer and the stink from melted undercoating, grease, oil and carpets, hadn´t forced him to take it to the dealer for a look see.

Back