• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

fog light switch help

asatxj

NAXJA Forum User
I'm helping a friend put foglights in his 00xj and I'm wondering if any of you know the answers to the following questions:
We have a factory switch!
1. is the wiring in place and we need to connect things?
2. what is the wiring diagram for that switch?

Thanks
ASATxj

ASATxj,
On my 91 I have the switch also. The wiring was in place and was already wired to the front of the car. It probably has the factory harness on it. I cut the harness off and wired the new lights into the wiring just by splicing them together. As far as the wiring diagram I know that my chilton's book has wiring diagrams in it. When i get a chance I will look and see if i can't get you a pic of it.

CUJeeper

foglights

thanks!!! Much obliged!:cool:

asatxj said:
I'm helping a friend put foglights in his 00xj and I'm wondering if any of you know the answers to the following questions:
We have a factory switch!
1. is the wiring in place and we need to connect things?
2. what is the wiring diagram for that switch?

Thanks
ASATxj
This would pertain to 97-01 XJ's only:

You say you have the switch. Was it pre-installed by the factory? If not, the wiring will NOT be in place. You'll need the wiring from the switch to the main harness AND again from the main harness out the the fog light positions below the front bumper.

If you recently bought a new fog light switch it came with a small 'jumper' wiring pigtail. This is not the wiring that goes from the switch to the main wiring harness.
i-1.JPG

Here's what the complete fog light kit comes with and ALL OF IT plugs directly into the 97+ XJ main wiring harness.

i-1.JPG

Last edited:
foglights

Good info. I think the switch is a boneyard find. His jeep didn't come with foglights so we are going to have to wire them.
Any idea what the schematic for the switch is?
Thanks
Jerry

Switch wiring:

Orange - Panel Dimmer
Pink - Switch Control
Violet - Relay Output
Black - Ground

For a complete wiring schematic you'll need a FSM.

Get OEM wiring harness!!

I warn you, is waaaaaay better to just go ahead and get the factory harness for that '00...that is if your time is of any value. I did this on my '98. There are several relays involved as well as an add'l fuse. These later XJ's are amazingly complicated and some have had serious high/low beam complications if you do not follow through with the complete harness install. Many have tried and failed in the past. Even with the std harness install it still takes a bit of time to do it well because requires tapping into that mass of a bundle of wires under the dash as well as effectvely routing under the hood. Judd

Re: Get OEM wiring harness!!

Judd W. VA said:
I warn you, is waaaaaay better to just go ahead and get the factory harness for that '00...that is if your time is of any value. I did this on my '98. There are several relays involved as well as an add'l fuse. These later XJ's are amazingly complicated and some have had serious high/low beam complications if you do not follow through with the complete harness install. Many have tried and failed in the past. Even with the std harness install it still takes a bit of time to do it well because requires tapping into that mass of a bundle of wires under the dash as well as effectvely routing under the hood. Judd
Ditto that.

I did my 98 this way.
1. Bought the OEM add on harness, came with all the wiring, new trim panel and the toggle switch. The factory fog lights themselves are not part of the add on kit.
2. Followed the directions on the interior part up to and including running the single yellow wire thru the firewall to up near the battery.
3. From that point on I used the Hella fused relay and wiring to the Hella 550 fogs. I used the single yellow factory wire to operate the relay.
4. Under the bmper where the factory fogs go there are mounting holes, one of those holes on each side is OVAL shaped. Using a tapered drift pin you can *gently* elongate this hole to fit the Hella studs, use a washer on both sides of the stud to increase strength of that elongated hole.
NOTE: If the XJ did not come from the factory with the fogs then the socket for the factory fog relays is NOT installed in the power distribution center near the battery. Behind the trim panel you WILL find a plug, DON'T USE IT, it has power but goes nowhere of any consequence, ignore it.
Lay the kit out on a big flat surface and plug things in so that you get a better idea of what does what. Keep in mind that the interior wiring up to the Hella fused relay should be treated as a different problem, worry about the lights after you have the interior wiring in.

I went stock all the way-

I used Hella 450's with std 55 watt bulbs in termination. Believe the stock fogs were also 55 watt, so should be capable of handling that load just fine as is. I did the voltage drop test same as the headlights and the loss was nothing in comparison. Two years later and all is fine. Yes, is interesting to note that pigtail behind the switches goes nowhere helpful that i could find.

foglights

Profound thanks to all!! We start this project in a few hours, with all the info it shouldn't be too bad!!! We shall see what we shall see!!!

I want to use after-market fog lights with the factory switches etc. My XJ did not come with fog lights so I need to get the switch, bezel, harness, etc..

It was mentioned that there is a kit that included all of this. Does anyone remember the part number or what the kit was called?

Thanks,
-Brian

why not just get a regular toggle switch and wire it to get power from an empty slot in the fuse box then just run to the fog lights and ground them? should take no more than 15 minutes that way. I would'nt even bother with the factory switch and relays and all the extra junk, just run it to a power source and put a toggle in line, walla your done.

Eric

eric91xj said:
why not just get a regular toggle switch and wire it to get power from an empty slot in the fuse box then just run to the fog lights and ground them? should take no more than 15 minutes that way. I would'nt even bother with the factory switch and relays and all the extra junk, just run it to a power source and put a toggle in line, walla your done.

Eric

Eric --

At risk of sounding a lot like the old phart that I am, your method is not legal anywhere in the USA. Under Federal law, and also under most states' DMV regulations, fog lights must be wired such that they go OFF automatically when the headlights are switched to high beam. (Also, "driving" lights must be wired so they operate ONLY with the headlights on high beam.)

You cannot accomplish a legal install without at least one relay. To use one, tap it off either low beam power wire near the headlights. However, this will not allow operating the fogs with just parking lights.

To get the added flexibility of running fogs and parking lights (which is the way the '97 - '01 XJs come), you need two relays. One is "normally open" and it tapped off the power feed to a parking light. The second is wired in series with the first but is a "normally closed" relay tapped off the headlight high beams. The second relay opens when you hit the high beams, interrupting power to the fog lights.

Legality aside, if you just run through a switch to the lights the switch carries the full amperage of the circuit. You'll be burning out toggle switches pretty often if you actually use the fogs a lotm unless you use at least one relay.

I have the box my OEM factory fog light wiring harness came in sitting here in front of me. The part number on the box is 82204235. That kit comes with, new faceplate, switch, two relays, ty-wraps, interior wiring harness and the exterior wiring harness [which I did not use]. Once the interior wiring harness is installed you will have one YELLOW wire that goes thru the firewall, this yellow wire is the one that triggers the fog light power relay. I used it to trigger a Hella fused relay that came with my Hella 550's, I used the hella harness for wiring the fog lights themselves.
The disassembly I did, removed the center console bezel, lower knee panel and plate under the steering wheel, that made access to the dash harness much easier.

FWIW, My 96 is wired the same way Eagle described above. The fog lamps can be on with only the running lights on.

i can't remember the color of the wire from the lite switch on my 98 i taped into it for power to a relay and my Hella 550 fog lites come on when the head lites are on both hi & low not with park lites. when you go to hi and the fog lites are on the low beams only you have a dark spot in front of you and to the sides, i think this much safer my way. i think it was green, but you can use a test lite to make sure.

Last edited:
2offroad said:
i can't remember the color of the wire from the lite switch on my 98 i taped into it for power to a relay and my Hella 550 fog lites come on when the head lites are on both hi & low not with park lites. when you go to hi and the fog lites are on the low beams only you have a dark spot in front of you and to the sides, i think this much safer my way. i think it was green, but you can use a test lite to make sure.

I didn't completely understand your description of how yours work, but if the fogs remain ON when you flip to high beams, your installation is illegal.

true but the lite to the sides ditch to ditch, makes my setup it much safer than a big dark spot in front of the jeep when on high beam.

Back