• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dakota Spring Pack ??'s

TB-XJ

NAXJA Forum User
I hit the junkyard today and found a Dakota, it's manufacturing date said 12/87. Will the rear packs from this work with the Cherokee pack in providing lift or do I need one newer than this? They are going to cut them off for me at the eyes and just torch the u-bolts and stuff off to get them out of there easier.

They told me $40 each side (since they had to charge labor) does that seem reasonable? I'm a low buck kinda guy and I think if from what I heard about this easy mod if it all goes right it will get me the 4 inches I want. (It's all I want, if I go bigger than 32-33's I'm gonna trim fenders)

Thanks alot! :)

Yeah me too but unfortunetly they had two Dakota's there and the other one was like a 90 but had no rear end or leaf packs in it! So the only one they had was the 87 or 88 whatever it is.

I'm getting some two inch coil spacers from a guy hopefully tomorrow, need to gather up all this stuff so I can start putting the lift together when it gets warmer weather (no garage sucks!)

Oh since your the Dakota leaf guru :) can I still use the very top Dakota leaf as long as the eyes are cut off or is it better to discard it? And I can retain my stock u-bolts/nuts etc. correct?

Thanks!!

TB-XJ said:
Yeah me too but unfortunetly they had two Dakota's there and the other one was like a 90 but had no rear end or leaf packs in it! So the only one they had was the 87 or 88 whatever it is.

I'm getting some two inch coil spacers from a guy hopefully tomorrow, need to gather up all this stuff so I can start putting the lift together when it gets warmer weather (no garage sucks!)

Oh since your the Dakota leaf guru :) can I still use the very top Dakota leaf as long as the eyes are cut off or is it better to discard it? And I can retain my stock u-bolts/nuts etc. correct?

Thanks!!

I would use the top leaf with the eyes cut off and forego using the overload. you'll also have to drill the hole for the center pin in the XJ main leaf to accept a 3/8" pin and you really shouldn't reuse u-bolts (and they'll probably be too short anyways)

I used '96 spring packs and didn't have to drill out the center hole. Also, I paid $40 a side for them, so I would try and talk them down a bit on something that old.

Burley

Back