• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Pics of my 88XJ with front leaf springs - help the newb! LOTS of pics, 56k death

Goatslayer

NAXJA Forum User
Before anyone asks why I installed a leaf spring front suspension I want to say that I did not do the leaf spring conversion. I bought the XJ about a month ago and these mods were already done.

I'm brand new to not only Jeeps but to lifted vehicles, so I have a lot to learn. I plan on fixing stuff as I break it (like the upper shock mount I broke lastweekend) If there's something majorly wrong with the suspension as it sits right now then I'll fix it ASAP.

What I know about this Jeep...

- supposedly CJ springs, 4" lift and 35s
- 97 Explorer rear axle (with disc brakes)
- 4.88 gears
- transfer case is original to my knowledge
- there's a LOT of blowby comig out of the breather so that's the cause of the oil leak you'll see in some pics

While an "in person" look at the suspension and drivetrain is obviously the best way to see it, I'd appreciate it if you all can look over the pics and point out possible (or actual) problems. Obvoiusly as I break things I'm going to fix them. The two positives that will come out of parts breaking are a) I'll be "hands on" and I lern more that way and b) it will get fixed right so won't break it again (hopefully).

Also - without finding out the "hard way" by getting stuck someewhere or without tearing apart the differentials, how do I find out if I have lockers?

Okay, here's the pics. I started at the rear driver's side, then passenger's rear, then front,then driver's front.

suspension%20002.jpg

suspension%20003.jpg

suspension%20004.jpg

suspension%20005.jpg

suspension%20006.jpg

suspension%20007.jpg

suspension%20008.jpg

suspension%20009.jpg

suspension%20010.jpg

suspension%20011.jpg

suspension%20013.jpg

suspension%20014.jpg

Looks like you have a shock working it's way loose.

Other than that, after a quick glance, I don't see any cracks or bent components.
Looks like a basic CJ/YJ front suspension and steering with heims.
Swapped in Ford 8.8 rear.
Small u-joints in the front.
Front pinion seal is leaky, then again, it may be a leaky PS hose dripping down.
Take a some degreaser to it and find that bad boy.
Check the ball joints.

edit: Nevermind the leaky oil comment.

Last edited:
interesting traction bar on the rear...

and your Front Right leaf spring main leaf looks a little bent, but that could be the camera making it look that way.. (in this pic -
suspension%20018.jpg

For a newb, looks like you're doing a good job so far! Asking the right questions, taking pics, and it seems you landed an interesting yet pretty good XJ for a beginner. You'll be able to do lots of good things with that bad boy.

Welcome to our world!
Chris

well if u get any vibrations on the highway, look at the driveshafts, they are extended along way, and the back leafs do look bent.

OT said:
Looks like you have a shock working it's way loose.

Small u-joints in the front.

Check the ball joints.

I think I need to replace all 4 shocks anyway. If I hit a bump in a turn the thing wobbles like mad.

Can I swap larger ones on or do I need a new axle from the transfer case?

Will do.

Satanic Goatslayer said:
I think I need to replace all 4 shocks anyway. If I hit a bump in a turn the thing wobbles like mad.

Can I swap larger ones on or do I need a new axle from the transfer case?

Will do.
If you go to a salvage yard, get shafts from an XJ with ABS, or TJ.

Satanic Goatslayer said:

This would be called "Death Wobble" and needs to be addressed quickly. You might need new shocks but the common causes of DW are worn steering/suspension components and/or bad alignment. Check all the steering linkages for wear. Ends (TRE's or Heims) hould be tight with no slop. Check ball joints and leaf spring bushings. Replace anything that's worn then take it in for an alignment.

So you guys mean leaf springs are NOT supposed to be bent like that where they bolt in? I had zero clue. It's been a long time since I've owned anything with leaf springs, let alone ones I could see with ease.

Now 4 shocks 4 new sets of leaf springs...

I've noticed how this thing takes speed bumps. There's 2 speed bumps at work I cross at 15mph in my Civic no problem (it's better at faster speeds, suspension recovers quicker). When I cross them in the Jeep at the same speed, the front soaks up some of the bump and feels fine. The rear, however, takes the speed bumps really hard.

Since I busted the one shock mount, I havn't slowed down on speed bumps and the rear end takes the bumps just as hard, doesn't soak up anything.

There is a "wobbling" at higher speeds when I hit a bump or dip in the road while turning at speeds over 35mph. It doesn't happen every time, and the first few times it really scared me, but it happens from time to time. The whole cab wobbles and I can feel the suspension wobbling. Supposing all 4 shocks are bad and seeing as how the leafs are bent, If I replace everything will that go away?

OT said:
Lose the nerfs for some actual rocker protection and clearance.

Those bars don't cut down on clearance too much, but I know if I go rock crawling they could affect my clearance. I'd like to replace them with something better looking but they stay until I can. I need them because...

I'm a midget. I'm 5'6" and getting in/out of that thing is exercise :eek: To get in, I put my left foot up on the bar and grab the steering wheel, then pull myself up until I can push my weight up with my left leg. If I'm wearing boots I use the bar to put at least 1 foot on before I kind of step down to the ground. If I'm wearing sneakers I'll usually jump out somewhat since the sneakers will soak up some of the impact.

Watching my kids get in/out is even funnier than watching me. My daughter (9) grabs the door handle and usually puts a knee up on the bar. My son (6) has to use the back tire and the bar while holding the door handle for dear life :roflmao:

ckh550 said:
For a newb, looks like you're doing a good job so far! Asking the right questions, taking pics, and it seems you landed an interesting yet pretty good XJ for a beginner. You'll be able to do lots of good things with that bad boy.

Welcome to our world!
Chris

The newb just managed to find something cheap that was already lifted as high as he wants to be lifted. I got the XJ for $2k, but it will need tires soon, apparently I need springs and shocks, and I don't think either differential has lockers.

I debated buying this XJ or getting a stock one that I could build up. Either way I think I'll end up spending the same amount of money but at least with this one it's just repairing and replacing existing parts. Doing the lift myself would've taken forever and 2 days. At least with replacing parts I don't have to worry about doing something wrong, just put the new parts in exactly as they came out.

I'm glad to be an XJ owner. I had a non-lifted S-10 Blazer that I used to take trail crawling and up some smaller hills. I'd hit mud when I could find too, just so for the next few days other SUV owners would shake their heads in disgust, yet I was actually using my SUV for one of it's purposes.

Mud is fun but I don't intend on doing a lot of mudding with the XJ. I plan on trail crawling and I want to learn how to rock crawl. I'm not going rock crawling alone, especially not the first dozen or so times. I need to meet some experienced rock crawlers and go out so they can teach me. I'm sure I wouldn't do bad and I know I'll learn quick, but I know I can't go out and tackle tough terrain without experience.

OT said:
If you go to a salvage yard, get shafts from an XJ with ABS, or TJ.

Why with ABS? TJ with ABS too?

And, I hate to ask, but what's a TJ? I forget :eek: I know CJ, YJ (wranglers), and XJ.

Axle shafts for the front, or just the driveshaft from transfer case to front differential?

Back