• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

the other off-road

Kejtar

PostMaster General
NAXJA Member
jeep_hc_132.jpg

We had a Hobie 18', when I was a wee lad.
My happiest memories as a kid are still the times when we we flying hull and hanging out to keep the balance just before dumping it.
HobieCat08.jpg

Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose.
sp_kids-&-hobie.jpg

But, you definitely don't wanna let one of those things turtle.

The best was, screaming along at insane speeds with the mist from the water deflecting off the hulls and spraying you in the face.
That was sure some madness sometimes.....
1a1_hiking.jpeg

This is hauling ass.....
3981.jpg

F that noise. I wouldn't be caught dead in that water. In fact, the only salt water I would be caught in are flats where I'm sight casting to permit and bonefish from a boat.

riverfever said:
F that noise. I wouldn't be caught dead in that water. In fact, the only salt water I would be caught in are flats where I'm sight casting to permit and bonefish from a boat.
I just remembered, we actually pulled a broken down ski boat back to shore with just wind power.
That was awsome, the looks on thier faces.....

I don't do boats or planes over open water. I did fly to Hawaii once. It was all good and then California ended. I began sweating and I might have pooped myself. I'll never tell though.

Multi's are cool...

As long as you can reach where ever you need to go. :D

Try an A Class cat sometime.

Off road.

sl01.jpg

sl02.jpg

sl03.jpg

sl04.jpg

Somebodies idea of a backflip... must be an "off roader". :D

sl05.jpg

sl06.jpg

sl07.jpg

sl08.jpg

sl09.jpg

sl10.jpg

sl11.jpg

sl12.jpg

sl13.jpg

sl14.jpg

sl15.jpg

QRP rocks. The IOTA pileups are insane.

sl16.jpg

sl17.jpg

sl18.jpg

sl19.jpg

The life of a delivery skipper... Double reefed, staysail, and beating against the trades.

sl20.jpg

The tranquil Tropics...

sl21.jpg

Hurricane Fernanda.

sl22.jpg

sl23.jpg

See the Matson Container? I saw 100 of them fly.

sl24.jpg

sl25.jpg

State of the art Nav gear... Circa 1985. Notice the flat panel GPS. Trimble North.

sl26.jpg

Admiral Ardis, upwind, mid Pac.

sl27.jpg

Nothing in moderation. Fastest fixed keel 30 footer in it's rating band on the planet.

sl28.jpg

See?

sl29.jpg

Look closer. 8 knots true wind speed at 105* over the deck.

sl30.jpg

sl31.jpg

Rock and Roll at Cowes.

sl32.jpg

Mumm 36, the thoroughbred of it's day. Very difficult to sail properly. Still hard to beat upwind in a heavy breeze.

sl33.jpg

I wish the 50 footers were still around.

--ron

I am in the wrong sport.

Ron, where is this?

sl10.jpg

Dirk Pitt said:
I am in the wrong sport.

Ron, where is this?

Little Scorpion Anchorage, Santa Cruz Island, Channel Islands National Park.

About 23 miles from my slip in Ventura. :D

It is a fantasic fair weather anchorage. In all of the places we've dropped anchor in, it's still one of our favorites.

--ron

I say Capt Ron has to host the next SoCal chapter MnG. Moored somewhere in the Channel Islands. :kissyou:

Kejtar said:
I know I got the snorkel, but there is no way that I'm taking my jeep :D

The park service uses XJ's on Santa Cruz.

Sequoia already hiked out a major trail near Pelican Anchorage. Serious waterfall. :D

--ron

Back