• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Carnage thread

shortxjdoug

NAXJA Forum User
ok since i just got home i'll start the breakage thread.

good day for me with a near flop and a tierod that looks like it came from a can of spaghetti o's

btw big thanks to Randy, Woody, Andy and Matt for helping me get the problem straightened out.....literally

Last edited:
Where to start? Forget the rockers, they are no more... good size dent in the pass quarter... header panel is held on with zid ties now... rear light panel is held on with zip ties... rear tow point is laying in the front seat... unibody is torn apart in 4 different places... I'm sure there is more that I haven't found yet, but I drove this truck 2.5 hours there, ran some good trails including slickrock and drove it home another 2.5 hours all in one day. I'm very happy with the way it performed to say the least. Wish I coul;d have stayed for today also but with no rear tow point and the unibody starting to fall apart, I didn't want to push it. Had a great time everyone and it was nice to meet some of you.

rredalty said:
Where to start? Forget the rockers, they are no more... good size dent in the pass quarter... header panel is held on with zid ties now... rear light panel is held on with zip ties... rear tow point is laying in the front seat... unibody is torn apart in 4 different places... I'm sure there is more that I haven't found yet, but I drove this truck 2.5 hours there, ran some good trails including slickrock and drove it home another 2.5 hours all in one day. I'm very happy with the way it performed to say the least. Wish I coul;d have stayed for today also but with no rear tow point and the unibody starting to fall apart, I didn't want to push it. Had a great time everyone and it was nice to meet some of you.

Rocker panels or rock sliders?

Rocker panels. No sliders, you would understand if you saw pics of the Jeep.

Record year for me! No real dammage except a dent in the rear quarter above the wheel and the window above that. Also lost a radiator hose on lower 2 but that was bc it was being rubbed by the belt. I did almost loose my steering but we fixed it b4 it broke.

Thursday ran EZ trails and gonged the rockers a bit more. Immediately after going up the ledge at Fain's Ford, we picked up a new squeak from "somewhere back there..."

Friday ran Slickrock: Bashed a shock, tweaked the front bumper pretty good, and munched the end cap. Also bonked a plum-sized dent in the rear diff cover & peeled the lower edge back enough to score a gear oil drip.

Saturday ran up upper 2: More rocker damage, bent the tow hook flat to the bracket, picked up a (new) dent in the side...

Sunday on the ride home: Driveline vibes are terrible above 65 MPH, 2/3 way up over Black Mountain the u-joint in the slipyoke melted (the new squeak!) and slung the driveshaft around a few times before it went bye-bye off into the grass on the side of I-40. We surveyed the carnage, pulled the yoke off the t-case & corked it up, threw it in 4-high and went on. No more driveline vibes or annoying squeak :D but the POS sounded aquite a bit louder than I recalled. Another hour or so we took another piss stop and found that the shaft had smacked the tailpipe off the flowmaster. Jammed it back into place and we made it back home with no other issues.

Only Carnage I had was the front breaks on the dodge going home...Damn that was fun with rear brakes only...

here ya go...
IM000159.jpg

IM000156.jpg

IM000155.jpg

First, a thanks to everyone for having me along for the run and mostly to IntrepidXJ for inviting me. I met lots of great people and great wheelers! I'd like to try to attend more outings in the future.

I burnt a bearing on my rear 44 and through the tire, wheel and glowing hot axel shaft across oncomming traffic on the way down. Got that fixed and lost a day of vacation.

Snagged a rear brake line and lost all brake pressure. I had to plug the line opening at the block with a bolt. 3 brakes are better than 2!

Sheared 5 of the 6 hub bolts and had to waste half a day tracking down a bone yard hub. Finally found it a Exums yard in town for $35.

Finally, I sheared a center pin on my drivers side front leaf spring at the base of lower 2 while we were going down the trail. Thanks to Lane and Tim for helping get that patched together. We used the winch cable to keep the axel from sliding back and a retchet strap to keep it from sliding forward.

I made it home with no issues. Long drive, but a really nice day to be out.

Damn glad to be home!

ha ha tranny lines busted and i didn't even get to run. they still leak too. hey woody too bad that happened after we parted ways, i had a tj yoke & new joint in the back. glad everybodies ok too.

All mine happened before we even got there. We left 5 hours earlier than had planned to hopefully get there early & get set up before midnight. 30 minutes into the trip, the Crank Position Sensor went out & left us stranded on the side of the interstate for 4.5 hrs. Still didn't get there till 1am, guess ya'll loved us riding through the camp looking for the cabins.

Only other thing that went wrong was a little mishap with a leg and a rock rail.
1530222-tellico013%28Custom%29%282%29.jpg

BIG THANKS goes to Dr. Matt for coming over to the cabin & cleaning Wayne up.

All in all, good trip. Didn't get to ride with the group any, with 3 women in the cabin, we got a late start everyday. But did do lots of riding anyway. 4 hours there, 2 days of riding, 4 hours back home.

I'm tired & going to bed.

Brad.

woody said:
Sunday on the ride home: Driveline vibes are terrible above 65 MPH, 2/3 way up over Black Mountain the u-joint in the slipyoke melted (the new squeak!) and slung the driveshaft around a few times before it went bye-bye off into the grass on the side of I-40. We surveyed the carnage, pulled the yoke off the t-case & corked it up, threw it in 4-high and went on. No more driveline vibes or annoying squeak :D but the POS sounded aquite a bit louder than I recalled. Another hour or so we took another piss stop and found that the shaft had smacked the tailpipe off the flowmaster. Jammed it back into place and we made it back home with no other issues.

why does your trouble always show up on the way home?

fresh dings in my rear quarters, bent the class III hitch a hair, loosened all the front susupension bolts, broken CB antenna, but thats it I think...michelle...last years carnage award winner managed to barely bend a front fender on a tree root, and knock the pant off her rockrail and doorbar coming down schoolbus at midnight...I was able to push it back in by hand...

shortxjdoug said:
why does your trouble always show up on the way home?

This is only a theory, but I believe it to be the junk taking it's revenge on me for beating the snot out of it.

Either that or I was really bad in a previous life, and it's karma kicking my ass.

woody said:
This is only a theory, but I believe it to be the junk taking it's revenge on me for beating the snot out of it.

Either that or I was really bad in a previous life, and it's karma kicking my ass.
Either way you're screwed! LOL! If ya need a spare let em know I have a few for the 4.0 that I have no use for!

Only image I have of the carnage.

Tellico06147.jpg

Back