• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

another trip report where ZJ scott breaks down..

NW-ZJ-SCOTT

TEXAS-JT-SCOTT
NAXJA Member
It never fails :rolleyes:

Went with bronzy and Redjeep2."dontuseahalftontotow2jeeps"O
To check out the powder on Lolo pass, And head for Lost lake..

I suck at trip reports.. so here's a bunch of cool pictures

we met at my place, and got to the Subway parking lot infront of LoLo pass on hwy 26 around 10a
357D890A-A71B-4D5C-97D4-37945F483C9D-297-000000333BD1951C.jpg

42280345-39C7-46AB-A32B-5B23F2ED5DAD-297-0000003335ACDD8B.jpg

Got up about 8 miles from Hwy 26 and the snow easily got to 30" deep.. if not more, when i got out to take this pic, the snow was past my knee
1EC75295-706F-4921-93A1-9782FBE202DA-297-00000033308CD9D5.jpg

We continued on, towards lost lake..
9270445C-8FCE-4F60-8B7B-D3CB4F932D71-297-000000334AF30DB5.jpg

D63E3995-CFCC-49CA-93D5-402758A7E396-297-0000003346FF9F27.jpg

BAC84B84-5C11-46BA-A766-0C63046C6DC9-297-000000332941DE14.jpg

FF510159-4B6F-478A-A2ED-CEF92DA5A9FA-297-000000331DB013CA.jpg

We turned around, and headed right at the entrance.. turned out to be a dead end.. but nick somehow got off camber and couldnt recover it..
143D8745-E7F2-49FD-BB9A-2C419A873E9F-297-00000033518D33BC.jpg

So we devised a plan to have John pull from the rear, and i would pull from the front.. Plan worked, Except it left John in nicks hole..
9440FF18-1F5E-48B7-981E-10D0EF852F02-297-000000335871B6BF.jpg

We got that all taken care of relatively quickly.. And continued on our way.. At this point the snow was getting very deep.. we were all really having alot of fun.. plowing snow over the hood, I decided to pass John.. I was smiling ear to ear.. I seen nick in my sights.. and just kept getting deeper and deeper into the throttle.. I had a steady flow of snow shooting 5 feet in the air on both sides.. snow coming over the hood.. I got up to nick and gave it everything to whiz past him at 30mph .. but i was an idiot.. and quit paying attention to the essentials..

All of a sudden as i passed nick.. my windshield was fogging up.. and i heard a "ding ding ding" looked down, and my temp gauge was pegged, Trans temp was 220* and i stopped.. shut her down and pulled over..
01287EFF-7590-4E48-A6F2-F25147BD98AC-297-000000330FE7771C.jpg

I didnt even care.. I figured it would cool down.. i'd add fluid.. and we'd continue on.. I've owned this rig for awhile, i know how it acts, i've gotten it warm before...

After letting it cool down.. Nick discovered we were on another dead end.. SO we turned around.. and headed down to got he 14 miles back to Lolo pass rd..

But the jeep had other plans.. it was over heating every 500 feet.. and i had Zero heat.. We all put our heads together, i thought maybe the Thermostat froze shut.. stopped for 20 mins.. pulled the thermostat and re-topped off the coolant.. a mile later.. she was hot..

After about an hour of going no-where.. it was apparent there was alot of pressure in the cooling system.. we topped off the rad/overflow.. bled the system.. nothing helped.. and then, started it up and I got a Flashing CEL.. It died 2 seconds later and would not start..

So, Nick whip'd out the Yanker strap.. and tugged along.. after awhile, i was able to get the jeep started.. i left it in neutral and solely let it idle for Power steering/brakes/charging so i could use the wipers.. But Then there was a hole.. he pulled me through at mach5.. well.. I bounced.. hard.. And ended up with a pinhole in my (new) brake line.. at this point.. it was do or die.. We setup like a train, john in front pulling, nick in the back being the brakes.. I was able to help out in the corners some, since we were so long.. but out of no where.. nick ran over the strap on accident,.. and it wrapped around his axle and snapped HIS brake line (same front right corner as me)

At this point.. We were in 6-8" of snow.. the tow rigs HAD to do it.. John took my brother and nick down the last 4 miles to grab them.. and i sat there with my dad in the back.. Debating on The jeeps future..

Flashing CEL, Brake light.. and over heating with no thermostat.. We were fuwking cold.. 6 hours in the snow with no heat, really takes a toll on a person..
32DC47A1-D9B2-4148-8D73-79B1F3BD798A-297-00000033113588F7.jpg

Last edited:
Good report Scott:) looks like we're both going to Charlie's for head work.

Yep. Pulled the codes tonight, P0300, P0303, P0305... I have some vacation time coming up starting next week, I plan to get the heads and Intake pulled.. Aswell as finally redoing the Front end stuff, like Main seal/balancer.. Timing chain kit and waterpump.. along with Poly motor mounts.. Parts i've had for over a year..

Looking forward to the next trip out.. He's pretty confident the next time i drive the jeep, It will have an additional 100hp.. I think it's easy to predict what's gonna fail after that.. Unfortunetly, That wont be until mid feb. :tear:

Last edited:
"So we devised a plan to have John pull from the rear, and i would pull from the front.. Plan worked, Except it left John in nicks hole.."

WOW

Lol, yeah your r/p are going to love an extra 100hp. What's wrong with the engine? I can hear my trans, and r/p crying and there not even built or installed in my Jeepster yet. 400hp will test the drive train for sure.

deep snow rules! never in my life have i had a setup that could drive stright out of a 30" deep snow rut, at idle, with no hands on the wheel! thanks so much to scott and nic for doing this run. and ben for getting it going. i was shocked when scott told me you were out i still want a full day wheeling with quadtrails.

i thought about stealing scotts pics and doing a trip report. (i dident bring a camera) but im a lazzy ass. and honastly, some things are better left unsaid. EPIC, fun, cant wait to do it agin.

Teamwork FTW!
Bronze

Thanks for the invite guys. You drove right past my house and didn't even stop by.

well it was suposto be in the gpnf but ben and i changed the plan after quadtrails broke down. then ben no showed. so i was kinda along for the ride...

sorry dave :wave1:
Bronze.

Thanks for the invite guys. You drove right past my house and didn't even stop by.

I ask you out snow wheeling you had some lame excuse, like I'm not driving the wranger until I fix the steering, when I brought up the XJ there was this loooooooooooooong pause, well more like you never responded at all. So dont bother asking Dave. :eek:

I ask you out snow wheeling you had some lame excuse, like I'm not driving the wranger until I fix the steering, when I brought up the XJ there was this loooooooooooooong pause, well more like you never responded at all. So dont bother asking Dave. :eek:

I wanted to go though! Lol

I was just messing with him. But yes no wheeling till its safe. And as for the Cherokee, I did to answer. It's only got 31's and it would be no fun for others on 35's just dragging me around. Ask Dustin all about that.

Last edited:
shoot i wish i would have know this when we saw you guys or was this before it happened? i asked nick if you guys were okay and he said yes so we took off. i wish we would have stayed because we had some big rigs that could have helped one way or another. glad to hear you all made it out okay and good luck with the repairs.

Back