• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

6th Annual Thanksgiving Run - 2011

nightfoam

NAXJA Forum User
Welp, I guess since I got home first, I'll post up first.

My brother and I left Beaverton about 7pm on Thursday and rolled into camp a bit after 8. RedNick, Scott, Rob, OrangeNick & otherDustin were sitting around the fire when we got there. Aaron Barnes, Streetpirate, and Torx and Bronzy showed up and joined us in the rain around the fire as the evening went on.

The next morning, after waiting for a little bit to see if anybody else would show up, we hit the trail. Scott lead the way with Rob, and Dustin rode shotgun with RedJeep2.0. Streetpirate stayed back at camp. Our goal was Hoodraiser, Hogsback then figure out what was next. After the 1st section of Hoodraiser, Aaron was having some electrical issues which we tracked down to a leaking battery, so he turned around and headed for Napa in Banks. The rest of us continued on, following the a FJCruiser club's tracks up to Hogsback.

We passed them after the hill climb then headed through the trees before continuing to Rock Uphill. BTW, that trail no longer has any obstacles. Then it was Archers Firebreak to Canopener, which nobody ran then onto Waterfall. OrangeJeep & Scott took the far right line while RedJeep2.0 took the far left. Unfortunately, conditions were just too wet and slick and he ended up having to pull cable over the final ledge.

We regrouped and headed back to camp to find Mojojojojojo there with Streetpirate and a fire going. The idea of a night run was kicked around but everybody besides Scott and I were a punch of whiners so we just spend the evening around the campfire doing the usual shenanigans...

Nick & Scott on Hoodraiser.

NickScottHoodraiser.jpg

nickScottsnowhoodraiser.jpg

Melting snow on Hogsback falling out of the trees like a lot of rain.

rainintrees.jpg

On the upper section of Rocky Uphill.

merockyuphill.jpg

Nick on the split section below where the ledge used to be.

nickrockyuphill.jpg

Group shot below Canopener

fridaygroup.jpg

fridaygoup2.jpg

Scott trying Mini Rubicon. He was into in, his Bushwhackers weren't...

Scottminirubi.jpg

I'll have videos up later.

Just got home. I'm a little bummed that I missed out on fridays run. But we made up for it on saturday for sure. The night run was EPIC. I had a good time. We even had a pallet coaster!

Back home. Relaxin a bit before unpacking with a much needed shower and some laundry.

Just got home. I'm a little bummed that I missed out on fridays run. But we made up for it on saturday for sure. The night run was EPIC. I had a good time. We even had a pallet coaster!
Epic Night Run, Epic Pallet Coaster

Well we forgot our cameras, so we didn't get any pics. I'm gonna take a guess and say I should probably bring another pallet sled next campout. Other than aaron thowing random snow balls and hitting the only girl in the group we had a great time. Now just gotta figure out what my new noise is and pry open my lift gate. Hell of a trip guys!

Another year down...

I left Thursday evening around 7:30, and got to Horse Camp shortly after 9:00. The rain was steady, but it was suppose to burn off as the night went on. Had a low washer fluid light come on as I was going up Rutherford Road, which was kinda a bummer.
IMG_0128.jpg

The rest of the crew was already occupying Horse Camp when I got there. The next morning we decided to go hit some trails. Hood Raiser was first on the list. Aaron was experiencing some electrical issues on the way up. A jump start was needed.
IMG_0135.jpg

Nightfoam looked confused.
IMG_0136.jpg

Aaron decided to play it safe, and head back to camp to trouble shoot. Rest of the group carried on.
IMG_0130.jpg

We cranked through the top section rather quick, and started hitting snow towards the top. After burying his rig last year in the ditch for a few hours, Scott led the way to redeem himself.
IMG_0140.jpg

OrangeJeep on Hogsback.
IMG_0142.jpg

Nightfoam on Hogsback.
IMG_0144.jpg

Continued on to the second section. Bronzewyrm heading through the width filter.
IMG_0148.jpg

Redjeep2.0 was my driver for the day.
IMG_0154.jpg

Nice little off camber spot in the trees. I think with a amount of snow this trail could be really fun. Especially now since it's been logged, it can start to accumulate in the trees.
IMG_0159.jpg

I got rained on riding in Dellstopjeep's rig going to Evans Creek, now I was literally getting rained on inside Redjeep2.0's.
IMG_0160.jpg

OrangeJeep heading down Rocky Uphill.
IMG_0166.jpg

Redjeep2.0, what a poser.
IMG_0169.jpg

Nightfoam.
IMG_0172.jpg

more to come...

After Rocky Uphill we rallied up to Can Opener to check it out. Group shot for the day.
IMG_0176.jpg

A few were ready to head up it blind, but I thought walking it first was a better idea. This is Can Opener.
IMG_0179.jpg

After looking at it, and seeing the amount of commitment it would take to make an attempt we decided to skip it. We continued on down Archers to Waterfall. Nick played around on the left side for a bit, but surrendered and called Warn for help. It was pretty slick on the rocks.
IMG_0187.jpg

We headed back to camp after OrangeJeep and ZJScott made it up the right corner line with no issues. We got back to camp around 5ish, had some dinner, and stoked the fire. By this time we gained a few more people at camp.

Give the night a few good hours, and we had our selves another pot to give away. $16 and two Free Chalupa coupons. TORX ended up taking home the winnings.
IMG_0197.jpg

One of the many bets we had going. Ryan's_Brother failed.
IMG_0199.jpg

Doing a bit of road maintenance.
IMG_0201.jpg

Epic Fail.
IMG_0202.jpg

Needless to say Friday evening was a good time...

Saturday we finally got rolling around noon headed for Bates Road. It's got a bit of elevation gain to it, so the clay hill climbs had a bit of pucker factor to them.
IMG_0212.jpg

Ran into another group at the top, and helped clear a fallen tree.
IMG_0214.jpg

Awesome views from the top.
IMG_0215.jpg

IMG_0217.jpg

We finished up the trail, and then took the highway back to Rogers Camp to head to FB5. I think a few were more worried about the Highway than the trails.
IMG_0219.jpg

more to come...

Same old FB5, with the typical peanut butter clay. It was sloppy.
IMG_0225.jpg

The left side seemed to be the more difficult side this time.
IMG_0228.jpg

OrangeJeep
IMG_0232.jpg

IMG_0234.jpg

ZJScott had to work the open front a bit.
IMG_0240.jpg

Bronzewyrm tried every line available, but with the mud, and rocks, it didn't look like it would happen easily.
IMG_0243.jpg

Scott turned around and winched him up.
IMG_0248.jpg

IMG_0249.jpg

Second climb on the first section developed a nasty under cut ledge. Redjeep2.0 trying to throw his purse at it.
IMG_0253.jpg

IMG_0256.jpg

Scott went with the Toyota driving style.
IMG_0264.jpg

Nick played around on the FB5 Rock Garden for a bit.
IMG_0266.jpg

Continued on up FB5, and stopped at Crushers. Nick decided he was up for a run on the Upper Loop. I'm assuming Scott is telling Nick to toe-in his tires? :D
IMG_0269.jpg

more to come...

Virgin snow on the Upper Loop.
IMG_0272.jpg

IMG_0274.jpg

IMG_0281.jpg

IMG_0284.jpg

Minor set back.
IMG_0287.jpg

Still a few minutes of daylight left.
IMG_0295.jpg

IMG_0296.jpg

We drove up to the staging area, and made a group decision on heading back to camp for dinner.

Got the fire going.
IMG_0300.jpg

Long day.
IMG_0299.jpg

With the night still young a few of us were up for a night run. After Aaron put his pants back on we set off for Waterfall.
IMG_0303.jpg

Jeremy tried the right side line on the left side. He faced the same issues Nick did the day before, and pulled cable. No sense pushing you luck on a night run.
IMG_0312.jpg

Nick wanted a redo of his Friday's attempt.
IMG_0323.jpg

Scott
IMG_0327.jpg

AwesomeXJ one upped everyone else, and was the only one not to have to winch. After everyone was at the top, we made a quick run up Rocky Uphill, and then back to camp.
IMG_0329.jpg

I woke up Sunday to what sounded like a hurricane. It was dumping on us pretty good. I wadded everything up, let the Nail Salon heat up, and headed out. This turned out to be a great trip, even if I didn't get to drive my own junk. Thanks to Nick and Rod for the open seat.

I have some videos I still need to upload, and will get them posted in the next day or so.

Great run. I learned alot this weekend

I learned that
1: Aaron is a good sport.. He's fun to pick on.. But only when he's sober.. He trys to rape you when he's drunk
2: Before you help a toyota guy.. Make sure you do a pre-flight checklist of the vehicle.
3: I still want a 5 speed late model
4: Dustin is alot more talkative when he's drunk
5: Rod's gotten extremely old between this run and last
6: MTR/kevlar CAN blow a bead.. (F**K!)
7: A welded D35 on 35s WILL hold up, if you expect it to break
8: I love my rev limiter..
9: You never have enough firewood
10: I need a bark collar for my Co-pilot

me and keith had an awsome time. keith says this is only the begining or him! things were supper slopy. made for a handfull of a trail run for me friday/sat. had to get home befor i dammaged anything else on the rig. thx for having us. all and all i smashed my down pipe causing a leek at the intake flange (front) put a good sise dent in the driverfront door, and comming up that secont section of FB5 i came down so hard ont the siders i stuffed the rocker into the door jamb and started to rip the sheetmetal at the seam under the drivers rear door/wheelwell area.

i had a blast. jeep will be in hoover mode soon.

Bronze.

I had a great time guys ! was nice to hangout with everyone. Wish i'd have drank less and wheeled more... but DAMN it was a good time ! I took ZERO pictures ! My co-pilot sucked (maybe the lack of thumbs?) I did get a few videos around the campfire... however they may not be legal to post on the internet - hahahaha !

Back