• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Home A/C

riverfever

NAXJA Forum User
I am staying at an old friends house for a few days and I just got here to find that the A/C is not working. Everything in the system is approximately 3 years new. Right now, when you lower the thermostat, the fan does run but it just blows out hot air (which feels great on a 95 degree St. Louis day). Fuses have been reset and still no change. Any suggestions?

-river

OK...I turned off a switch that was near the furnace and I went down and turned the A/C fuse off and then back on. My buddy says it is working better now but I still think it sucks. The furnace is blowing but the air is not coming out of the vents that strong. What little is coming out is cooler. What can I check?

If you are in St. Louis call Schneider, my new wife's uncle works for them, he is great. Ron is his name, be funny if you get him. I used to work in that field too.

Lower the stat, see if the outside is running, i.e, fan turning and the compressor humming at the same time. If not, check to see if it has power to it. Breakers, fuses whatever. Could be freon leak/loss.

Should be under warranty as well.

Negative

Whats with the outside unit? running/not running if running, are the copper lines sweating? if not running, have someone stand by it, then lower stat to kick unit on, it you hear a click, the transformer is till good. Filter plugged? switch on stat set to cool?

look and see i the low pressure lines,usualy have the insulation on them,is frosting over if it is thats a pretty good sighn its low on freon.

im originaly from st. louis somthing very similar happend to me once come to find out some nieborhood kid stole my freon to huff......what an idiot. the worst part his parents refused to fit the bill and said "kids will be kids what can i do"

reliablestv said:
im originaly from st. louis somthing very similar happend to me once come to find out some nieborhood kid stole my freon to huff......what an idiot. the worst part his parents refused to fit the bill and said "kids will be kids what can i do"

I am now MORE ashamed to say where I am from. Some people are so dam stupid. Freon on top of it, good thinking there.

Well...getting to his house to find no A/C was really just the last straw in a trip filled with fawkery. I left Saint Louis this morning and am happy to say that I am now sitting on my porch where it is 53 degrees. Needless to say...the Blue Moon is going down smooth.

wow, you must really not like the warm weather. J/K did it turn out ok?

Not before I left. I HATE hot weather and St. Louis.

my suggestion would have been open the service panel and tap the relay. Mine's done this at the beginning of two seasons now. Relay get's stuck.

Back