• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

CPS easy access

Down under

NAXJA Forum User
I had a brain fart idea when I took the head of my XJ, I noticed how easy was to get to the sensor..... get your hand al over it!
So i "was" Going to cut a small access peice out o f the firewall.
Just big enough to get your hand in from inside the cab.
And fab up a nice plate over it.
In Australia, it seems to be possible, as it's up under the passenger side.
And appears possible?
I got the head back that day, and bolted it up before I remembered. Doh!
Any thoughts on it?

If you cut a hole and just leave it you are going to have issues with dust and water vapor coming into the cabin. Might not matter for a trail rig, but I sure wouldn't want that for a daily driver.

If you want to cut a hole and seal it then you need another piece of that firewall from another XJ. That piece needs to be cut at least an inch bigger so that you will have at least a 1/2 inch flange with which to attach and seal the cover plate.

I made an access hole for the fuel pump in my Suburban. I got a donor piece of floor pan from a junkyard. I used strips of 1/8" x 1" flat bar for my nut strips on the back side (I just drilled and tapped the flat bar). I sealed it with butyl tape. Corners of the access hole were made with a drill bit so as to eliminate stress risers and all edges were deburred and sanded smooth before being painted so as to attempt to hold the tin worm at bay. Doing the job right is more than just cutting a hole.

lower the back of the tcase and use a LONG extension and the cps is very easy.

So do you guys use tape or wire on the end of a 2ft extension bar to keep your multi meter on to test it?
Haha

The connector for it is easily accessed from the engine compartment. You can easily back probe the connector to get a wave form on a scope... that's how I determined mine was bad.

Replaced it after a nice selection of long extensions and haven't had any problems since.

Back