• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Towing

NOVAggie

NAXJA Forum User
Ok so I am going to PA on saturday to go pick up my jeep (90 2dr XJ). I was wondering is it ok to tow it on a tow dolly? Should I put the front wheels on teh dolly or rear wheels?

I have to put a hitch on my Ranger (99 2wd 3.0) manual before I can tow it, but was jsut wondering what would be the best way to tow it.

I would drive it, but my luck it woudl break down on me on the way home.

shoudl i not even try to tow with my truck and just drive it??

Your truck is kinda small for towing a rig but,,,,, you should tow it front wheels on the dolly. If it's 2wd you'll want to remove the driveshaft or else you'll toast the trans. if it's 4wd you can remove the d shaft or put the transfer case in neutral.

yeah it is 4wd
so if i put the front two wheels on the dolly and put the tcase in neutral it will be ok? i dont have to remove teh rear driveshaft?

NOVAggie said:
yeah it is 4wd
so if i put the front two wheels on the dolly and put the tcase in neutral it will be ok? i dont have to remove teh rear driveshaft?
Does it have the 231 or a 242? If 231 on a 90 that means you have a vaccume disconnect. Make DAMN sure that the front axle is disconnected. If you don't you will get about two feet before the jeep either tries to drive off the front of the dolly or you blow apart your tcase. If its a 242...pull either the front or rear shaft...it doesn't matter which one. Tranny in gear Tcase in neutral and you are set.

i wouldnt put the t-case in neutral!

that WILL lock the driveshafts together, causing them to spin at the same rate meaning that you will rip the t-case apart...

i would seriously condiser:

borrowing an f-150 or similar size rig for better brakes, wheelbase, and power
Pulling BOTH front and rear driveshafts at the axle end and tie'n them up to the vehicle

and make sure to leave the key in the ignition and have it turned on so the steering doesnt lock if you are flat towing...

DrMoab said:
Does it have the 231 or a 242? If 231 on a 90 that means you have a vaccume disconnect. Make DAMN sure that the front axle is disconnected. If you don't you will get about two feet before the jeep either tries to drive off the front of the dolly or you blow apart your tcase. If its a 242...pull either the front or rear shaft...it doesn't matter which one. Tranny in gear Tcase in neutral and you are set.

i dont know what tcase it hase it is a90 xj automatic

Ok so i am gettign 100 different answers to this question, has anyone actually ever towed their XJ or just heard to do something??

If towing is going to mess it up I might as well drive it and hope it goes good.

your a pioneer good buddy, let us know how this "towing" goes. if it works out i might have to start doing it
:cheers:

NOVAggie said:

Ok so i am gettign 100 different answers to this question, has anyone actually ever towed their XJ or just heard to do something??

If towing is going to mess it up I might as well drive it and hope it goes good.
Just pull the rear shaft then...It doesn't matter what Tcase,front axle or anything else it has. Just pull the shaft. Put everything else in gear and go. That would be the best thing to do.

NOVAggie said:

Towing will not mess it up if done correctly.

To tow it on a dolly, remove the rear drive shaft.

To flat tow it, put the transfer case in neutral and put the transmission in Park ... just like it says in the owner's manual.

Either way, it isn't legal to tow it unless it is registered. I hope you knew that and have planned accordingly. If it's not registered, the only legal way to tow it is on a flat bed or a trailor, with all four wheels off the ground.

Dolly or flat tow, what do you plan to do about lights?

Eagle said:
Towing will not mess it up if done correctly.

To tow it on a dolly, remove the rear drive shaft.

To flat tow it, put the transfer case in neutral and put the transmission in Park ... just like it says in the owner's manual.

Either way, it isn't legal to tow it unless it is registered. I hope you knew that and have planned accordingly. If it's not registered, the only legal way to tow it is on a flat bed or a trailor, with all four wheels off the ground.

Dolly or flat tow, what do you plan to do about lights?

good call about lights....ill have to look into that. This towing thing has become an issue, i may jsut drive it back. From what i understand it is fine, but you never know.

Get AAA asap as extra insurance and drive it back. Have someone go with you,etc. Check your oil, tire pressure, wipers work,lights,etc.
Good luck. Let us know how it goes.

Back