NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Chapters > NorthWest Chapter
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

NorthWest Chapter Discussion of Chapter issues. Please keep Tech Topics on the Tech Forums.

Old August 29th, 2014, 23:11
NAXJA Member

Re: John's 98 Build Thread

Do you still have that Jeep? It is so clean in your build thread... there are not many XJs left that are that clean or have that few miles.
Old August 31st, 2014, 11:30
NAXJA Forum User

Yup. I still use it for search and rescue regularly.. We have 5 XJs in King County SAR and 4 of them are built/configured like mine .

Last edited by yaromb; August 31st, 2014 at 11:40.
Old September 24th, 2014, 08:42
NAXJA Member

So guys my Jeep was stolen last night in the Kennydale area from the secured parking garage at my apartment. If you see it please call the cops or contact me on here.
Old September 24th, 2014, 10:06
NAXJA Forum User

WTF that blows
Old September 24th, 2014, 10:10
NAXJA Forum User

OHHH MAN!. We need to do a good ol NWC Alarm party! this is crap man, I hope you find it quick.

Bronze.
Old September 25th, 2014, 03:44
NAXJA Forum User

Damn dude that sucks! Hopefully you find it soon.
Old September 25th, 2014, 07:20
NAXJA Member

Tell nick guy hello... we all need to hit the trails again here soon
88 XJ 4 door4.5 RE lift 35s. 44 with zip locker, Dana 30 front with spartan lunch box and chromos. RC sliders, Relocation brackets, Logan metals front winch bumper, poison spider diff covers, leather seats, sye,2low, OBA,

Direct from the Forest Service website:
It is every Americanís birthright to use the national forests in multiple ways, including outdoor recreation in ALL its forms.
Old September 25th, 2014, 10:29
NAXJA Member

I hate thiefs.
Old September 25th, 2014, 10:46
The 97 Club

Glad you got it back, but ask the yard to roll up the windows. Doesn't look that bad. I would pull the valve cover off before i started it if they pull the seals off the cover. Don't know what they may have put in there.
Again i am glad you got her back.

Good luck
Old September 25th, 2014, 20:21
NAXJA Forum User

holy cow, ya kill switch in mine is always armed, the naxja chapter down in AZ had a "kill switch" party and it was like 15 bucks in supplies and helped hook it up to the fuel pump relay under hood, there was 12 or so Jeeps that showed up. I am debating some kind of alarm for the jeep but I dont want to be that guy in my neighborhood with a car alarm blarring when I am not home.

I am always nervous if someone wanted the winch/rope or bumper if they had long enough they could take it all. hope your insurance gets you back in action, if you need anything I am in seattle and can always help.

Did they thrash it offroad or just tweaker steal things?
Old September 25th, 2014, 20:32
NAXJA Member

Thanks guys! MTB jak, I might get ahold of you after I settle, I'm gonna do my best to NOT total it. I went by the yard today, and I'm made a list of all the crap they jacked. It seems like I was targeted. They broke into the apartment maintenance vehicle to steal the remotes for the parking garage. I'm not happy. Anyway - strangest part of what they took, plug wires. El cheapos with like 60,000 miles on them. I want to put a skim on but someone said its a 99+ thing, so I might make my own chip-key based skim like deal with GPS tracking. I'm pretty handy with an arduino and a protoboard.
Old October 17th, 2014, 18:30
NAXJA Member

I got the Jeep home! Its got oil POURING out of the rear main seal, but it has good oil pressure and no knock, I'm guessing I'll be redoing my RMS. I had a hunch that it was ate up anyway, I have had a persistent drip from back there for a couple months. It runs nice and smooth! I'm guessing I will have it back on the road sometime in December at this point though... Its nice to not be as stressed as I was initially.
Old November 1st, 2014, 23:47
NAXJA Member

I've been keeping busy cleaning away one Saturday at a time on my Jeep. It looks like my insurance has finally figured out that equipment adds to the resale value, so hopefully they will cut me a check soon so I can get back on the road.

As for the status: I confirmed the RMS is blow, and figured out the steering wheel lock is destroyed. The underhood electrical has been massively worked on so its no longer random cut wires!

I've vacuumed up most of the glass. I didn't expect that the three windows that were broken to consume so much volume in my shop vac!

I'm planning on some major upgrades once this is all over, and I'll probably be replacing with better stuff. Starting with the wench. I have been eyeballing the warn 9.5xp, is it worth the extra cash?
Old December 30th, 2014, 23:48
NAXJA Member

Itís been a while since I updated, but I have McSquizzie back on the road! On the list of damage was:

1) The radio, amp, and pod had been taken
2) Three windows had been broken out
3) The spare had been stolen
4) Plug wires, Spectre intake, Optima, ARB compressor, and the winch had all also been relieved of my ownership
5) The rear main seal was badly leaking

I bought it back because it still had four wheels and tires, ran good, it shifted, my complete OME/JKS lift, the bumper, and most of the interior was still there.

I met the insurance adjuster at the body shop where it was with a battery, plug wires, some battery harness terminal repair pieces, and drove it home with a badly leaking rear main seal. It was pretty sad...

I started by thoroughly cleaning, as the thief had scattered trash all around the interior and it was littered with broken glass. I made a grocery list and went to the u pull n pay and relieved many Cherokees of their parts.

I built a new overhead console over a couple days using parts from a minivan and grand Cherokee again, but this time I epoxied my Contura switch bezels in. I decided since I would be replacing the gauge trim bezel, I would use the OHC to house the compressor and locker switches.

Over thanksgiving break I installed all of the glass and did the rear main seal, ARB compressor, and mounted an ebay special CB with an antenna tuner. I also relocated the antenna to the front bumper and use a new short fire stick. I was tired of it hitting the roof in parking garages. I do have to say that "super fast drying" urethane window adhesive drys super slow when its cold. It snowed and then dropped below freezing for a while, and the adhesive was still tacky three days later. According to the 3M data sheet I pulled up, it was going to take 240 hours to cure to 50% at 40 degrees, so I just left it alone for a while.

I get a nice long 9 day break from my company for the Christmas break, so I got busy and installed an alarm, installed the new radio, a new shiny 9.5XP (I had to trim the ARB bumper), and wired in a kill switch.

I dont suggest such a large winch, after drastic trimming, it barely fit.

I also had to cut into the grill to fit the solenoid, which was no big issue, because whoever stole the winch broke my grill while removing the winch so I didn't have much to loose.

I am pretty proud of how it all turned out!

My wife got me some Mamabas for Christmas, I got those mounted up today. It looks pretty dang sharp!

While at the yard looking for plastic and glass, I found a Liberty and proceeded to relieve it of its disc brakes, so look forward to that. I need just a couple more pieces and I should be able to install those for less then $200.

I have to say it has been a TON of work getting it back on the road but because I did all my own work it was inexpensive, and I really learned a lot about installing glass.

Up next is lockers and a swing bumper!
Old April 5th, 2015, 11:54
NAXJA Member

It has been quite a while since my last update; work has been getting in the way of me relaxing.
I had 3.73 Nitro Gears and front/rear ARB lockers installed by JT in Cashmere in January. They are a M-F 8-5 shop, and I work the same sort of hours, so I dropped the Jeep off on a Saturday and went back the next weekend to pick it up. I didnít know it but we chose to pick the Jeep up during the Bavarian Ice Festival, when Leavenworth has ďno room in the InnsĒ because the tourists take over but we found somewhere anyway. It was a fun weekend!

Testing out the lockers, definitely overkill but hey!

The hose was installed with a loop of slack at the air manifold. Probably a good call.

Line routing to the front axle.

And the rear.

They were out of D30 covers when the gears were installed, so at the end of the gear break-in period I installed a better cover.