• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dana 30 Axle conversion

kelleybean88

NAXJA Forum User
Hey everyone im new on the board and desperatelly in need of some info... I was refered to you by a part company in Washington...

Dilema:
Last weekend did an axle conversion on a 1996 cherokee. We used an axle out of what we believe to be an 88 cherokee. But we chose to put the 96 axle shafts back into the axle. Now the axle is leaking and I have read that it is because the axle shafts are a smaller diameter than the 88 2 piece axle shafts. I have been searching all over the place for the seals to correct this problem but the part numbers I keep finding dont match up to any parts. Do any of you happen to know the part numbers of the seals to fix this problem? I am supposed to go wheeling this weekend but cant go if I dont fix this leak.

since you are new
I WILL VOULUNTEER THE SEARCH FOR YOU
note: there is a science to searching NAXJA youi have to know which words to search under(terminlolgy).
I prolly read about 20 threads for every post I have ..
btw
Welcome to NAXJA hang around and read a bit..
thread for a part# on a two piece seal shaft conversion

the meat of the post

04-20-2005
Zipdrive007
NAXJA Forum User Join Date: Dec 2004

Re: unit bearings/axle seal

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by woody
The RS tube inner diameter is smaller on a disco axle than on the non-disco... by about 2-3mm. I ground out my tube to get clearance for the factory seal (since that was what I had) but IIRC Randy's now offers a seal that fits the disco tube without grinding.

IIRC someone posted the part number for that seal a week or two ago in another thread... a search ought to point it up.

Thanks for the steer Woody

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckD
Well I guess it's my lucky day.

Thanks to RawBrown, Google, and Michigan Jeepers Forum!

Here are some part numbers

CR 11800 and Warn 37897

Here are the dimensions:
2.062 OD
1.25-1.2 ID
.25 H

PartsAmerica has both listed for about 7-10 ea. The problem is that they want $5.00 for shipping and it will take at least 5-7 days for ground.

Chuck D
Member#502

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckD
Update on the seal part number!

The CR 11800 is a bit too big, you could probably make it work but you will have to grind out the inner tube a little.

This seal should just tap right it, 11771/40576S CR SEAL

Also, the 91' disco axles may be machined for the standard carrier seal. We found this out talking to a 4WD shop, who at first sold me the wrong seal. Then I found out that its a 60's CJ5 has a front axle seal.

Thanks to Chuck for the part numbers

Last edited:
Back