• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

I ton axle questions

Nik

NAXJA Forum User
I pulled 2 dana 44's out of a 71 and 75 F250 with the 428 engine and the 460 engine. Both of them were the heavy duty FORD axle, they are the closed knucle series with 1/2 axle tubing heavy duty series brakes. We ordered chromoly warn shafts 4 them and they were puny compared to the orginals and the u joints were 1/2 the size. It turs out the closed nuckle series doesn't work with warns shafts and I would have to get them custom made due to the different design of this axle. I pulled a shaft out of a front 60 and it was almost a match with the same size u joint. I ended up rebuilding both of them from the inside out bearings seals shoes everything. It turns out the axle is like a hybrid between a 44 and a 1 ton axle. I had to order 1 tn lockouts for the axle which is also weird, the standard 3/4 ton lockouts were way to small. I took the entire axle to tanner, and predator and they said it was a 1 ton axle with the 44 housing? WTF i never have heard of this . . unless it was custom. They said ford made axles that were 1 ton out from the housing that was a beefed up 44 housing. I have been running the axle under my jeep 4 about 2 months now with 39.5 IROK's and i have pushed the skinny pedal to the floor on rocks and it hasn't done a thing to the front but snapped 2 rear shaft in the rear 60.

By the way I have built many axles and have a pretty good knowledge of what I am talking about, so I am not some newbie confused by the inners of an axle. lol

To get to the point is this true about a heavy duty DANA 44? Its reads 44RS on the housing.

I also have the other axle that has been built inside out with all new bearings and seals on the nuckles and new shoes. I am powder coating it up and gonna sell it on ebay. How much would these sell for . . I live in CO and they are sure hot out here. Tanner quoted me 2200 for a hub to hub D60. I know that is way high, but they are real hot in denver and the springs.

Thanks for the help I think I covered it all.

WTF is your question? D44s came in F150 and F250, F250s being 8 lug. F350 and a very few rare sno-plow edition F250s in late 70s had D60. I paid $950 shipped 800 miles for my 93 F350 D60 in good shape.

SeanP

Back